Refractometer or Hydrometer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineyTexan

Reaction score
When I started my wine making obsession last month, I was given some nice equipment from my sister who has brewed beer in the past. One gift that I have really enjoyed is the refractometer. I have been using it exclusively to take readings on the wines I have started. I like the idea that I only need to us a dropper full of my must. Now I read today that once you begin fermentation, you should take your readings with a hydrometer.

So first question:

Am I understanding this correctly? I can get accurate readings with the refractometer only until I pitch the yeast. How much will the readings vary?

Second question:

The article states the reason the refractometer reading will deviate from the hydrometer reading once fermentation starts is ethanol. Ethanol? I thought that was an additive in gasoline. Does fermentation produce ethanol?

Ethanol is a by product of fermentation. We ferment wine. We get alcohol.

I learned last night that a refractometer will not work in the presence of ethanol. The good news is you only need 1 drop to get a reading prior to fermentation. Perfect if you are searching for very sweet grapes/fruit in the field. You don't need a lot to get a reading as with a hydrometer.

Refractometers are temp. adjusting as well.

I can't comment on how the tools work (I have a hydrometer and am most of the way through fermenting my first wine).

Ethanol is drinking alcohol. Ethanol from corn is added to gas as a renewable resource... remember that alcohol can burn.

This is not to be confused with methanol, an alcohol product generated from wood. Methanol, your standard rubbing alcohol, is poisonous!

Hydrometers are used in the field to test the grape still on the vine. This tells them when to pick at the highest brix. If testing juice one drop is needed. You however need a chart to know when fermentation is complete.
For this reason a Hydrometer is more accurate than a refractometer.

I just tried to use the Hydrometer I have and I'm having some issue with it floating in the center of the testing tube. It keeps leaning against the side. What am I doing wrong?

I just tried to use the Hydrometer I have and I'm having some issue with it floating in the center of the testing tube. It keeps leaning against the side. What am I doing wrong?

That happens - give the hydrometer a couple of good spins to make sure it isn't trapped by CO2.

It is difficult to get a good sample of just the must from all the fruit still in the primary fementation. Is it okay to have some fruit in tube at the bottom of the test tube?

I've noticed great differences in the readings of hydrometers and refractometers. While it is great to only have to use one drop compared to a cup or two, refractometers become not as useful once fermentation starts. I have heard of the charts and on-line calculators but I've never personally used one.

When I measured 5 Brix with a hydrometer, I measured 12.5 Brix with a refractometer taking a sample right out of the hydrometer tube.

Be sure that you have enough juice in the tube. It may be possible that the hydrometer is standing on its bottom end.

It is difficult to get a good sample of just the must from all the fruit still in the primary fementation. Is it okay to have some fruit in tube at the bottom of the test tube?

I've had the same problem in the past. One solution would be to use chop sticks to pluck the free loading grape skins out of they hydrometer tube. Another solution would be to pour your sample thru a strainer but be sure to capture the juice and discard the fruit. The first time I tried the latter method, I held a strainer over the sink and poured my sample thru it....I then watched as I held a strainer filled of grape skins while my precious must went down the drain.

It will throw off you readings - i would strain the must into the test tube. I purchased a funnel and a screen that fits into it and then pour my must into it. If will filter out the solids for a more accurate reading.

Thank You all so much for your knowledge and advise. I am amazed at the fast response time and I appreciate all of your help. This is a great forum. Hopefully one day I will be able to contribute too

I am also new to wine making but the way I use my hydrometer when it is in the primary is that I just make sure it is completely sanitized and just drop my hydrometer straight into my primary. If it is well sanitized you have nothing to worry about doing it this way and it eliminates using a tube which it can rest against to give more accurate readings. When it is in a carboy then I use my wine thief to draw a sample and just use my hydrometer in the wine thief instead of transferring that to a testing tube as well. Key thing is just make sure you sanitize everything well before using. This has worked out fine for me and I am on my third batch.

Also welcome to the forum! It's a great place to get advice and see how everyone else does things. Enjoy your hobby as it will become more and more obsessive like it has for me :)

i have both and they usually are the exact same for juice. the hydrometer is just easier to use, IMO. if you are exclusively doing juice, then a refractometer might be ok. i test the wine at various stages, so a hydrometer is more versitile. just make sure you sanitize it regularly, keep as much of the particles/chunks out and keep it level when reading it. a good spin can help as previously posted.

The factories work really hard to build the hydrometers so they stay to the side of the tubes. Also I believe they have contests to make the hydrometer stop spinning when the scale you want to read faces away from you. Don't know how they do it, but every one is the same. If you get one that doesn't act that way make sure you do not break it. you will never get another one like it. lol Arne.

Either can be used but like said by xoltri you need to convert a refractometer reading if there is alc present. each has its pros and cons depening on what your doing. An ATC (automatic temp calibration) really has its pros when in the field testing the sugars of fruits or when boiling your beer (wort) as you dont have to cool it down to get a reading.

I just stick the bottom part of my strainer in the must and take the sample out of the strainer.

Semper Fi

The factories work really hard to build the hydrometers so they stay to the side of the tubes. Also I believe they have contests to make the hydrometer stop spinning when the scale you want to read faces away from you. Don't know how they do it, but every one is the same. If you get one that doesn't act that way make sure you do not break it. you will never get another one like it. lol Arne.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one getting hydrometers that strive to inconvenience the home winemaker. It must be some kind of conspiracy!

^i had to laugh pretty hard at that one, too. i swear it's true!!!

i agree with bud, drop in the strainer and pull out wine/must. just take from what's straining out. we have a very sweet, utra-fine strainer we use for this and other things, such as getting more out of the lees/wine bottom after fermentation. the press isn't near as fine of a strainer, so it would allow pulp/lees back in.

my dad recently found a big'n wide tube for a hydrometer. then he broke it. lol. it did help keep it off the side, atleast.

Back