REDULESS during MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xriddle

Reaction score
Noticed some H2S from my syrah/merlot which is going through MLF right now. Should I wait for MLF to finish or add the Reduless now or should i wait for MLF to finish. The reason I ask is because the documentations says to rack after 72 hours. Is it OK to rack during MLF? Any suggestions?

Thanks

My thinking is this..

You need to add reduless, stir, and allow to settle for 72 hours before racking. I feel that MLF may be churning up you wine (at a low level) and will prevent the reduless from settling.

I would wait just until MLF is complete before adding.

BTW (have you tried a splash racking?)

Since MLF is running i have not tried splash racking. Should i try that before trying Reduless? I assume I have to wait for mlf to finish as well before trying splash racking.

I agree with John about waiting to add Redulees.
Have you tried adding Opti-malo? This may be just a nutrient issue, this would be my first option, just be cautious, it can create a volcano.
You can splash rack while going through MLF, worse case scenario, you have to repitch MLB.
How long has the wine smelled funky? have you tried to taste it?
I would splash rack, add opti-malo and keep an eye on the wine, if the offensive odors continue, or get worse, then I would add Redulees.

Thanks guys ... i'll give the splash a try. The wine tastes great .. it's really just a hint of H2S. I noticed it a little at the press but wasn't too sure. I think i will go ahead with a splash rack and see how that goes.

Latest posts

Back