Red Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawrstin

Reaction score
Red wine should always be oaked. Agree or disagree?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Must be my vanity but it must be oaked! I'm not sitting on a fence, mostly laying in gutters. All great reds end up oaked.

Oak is really a personal preference, aside from oaking certain types of wine to produce a wine that is similar or even identical to its commercial equivalent, the level of oak really depends on the winemakers personal preference.
I like a certain amount of oak in my red without making it the dominant flavor.
When you add oak (during fermentation, in the secondary and so on), and what type of oak you add also makes a really big difference. So to answer your question, yes I feel that most reds benefit from oak additions.

Last edited:
If the kit has it I put it in according to directions and as I'm typing I'm thinking that all the reds I've done have come with either oak powder or chips.

Some less expensive Barberas and some Langhe Nebbiolos and a portion of Cotes du Rhone and Cotes du Villages never see oak. I personally like at least a bit of oak even in light weight reds.

I was under the impression that Pinot Noir favors French oak or a mix of American and French oaks.

That all depends on your particular tastes. I found that I prefer oaking my pinot (using a type of oak know for good yield of vanillan.

I look at this as a stylistic choice. I like things unoaked--AND oaked. I would never consider one or the other to be "wrong" or "right."

After the MLF, we DO oak our Pinot Noir and it's very delightful.

Last edited:
I oak on dry reds. Not on the sweeter ones.

The advantages to oaking a red wine are well documented. The improvement to the wines stability in clarity and color, the softening and wood flavors that give smoother and deeper texture when oaked correctly should always have consideration in our decisions to oak or not.

Red wine should always be oaked. Agree or disagree?

The advantages to oaking a red wine are well documented. The improvement to the wines stability in clarity and color, the softening and wood flavors that give smoother and deeper texture when oaked correctly should always have consideration in our decisions to oak or not.

Remind me again what the point of this thread is?

The Italian cab I have just done did not include oak in the kit. I had some shredded medium toasted oak on the shelf so I put it in a straining bag and put it in the primary and since the oak was coming out of the bag I tasted the must and thought that would be enough for mouth feel if nothing else. Still had some oak floating that's why I decided to take the bag out of it. This kit has been my lil experiment.. glad I decided to go for it! :b

Latest posts

Back