Red wine clearing ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smythers

Junior
Reaction score
I recently bought a wine making kit and am currently working on my first batch. My kit is a 6 week red wine and about one week ago I degassed and added the clarifying agent. I have been checking daily and the wine isn't clearing at all. I was wondering if red wine, being red, is even supposed to clear at all?
even

smythers,
The way I check my red wine for clarity is to turn on a good flash light and hold it up against the carboy, and look thru the other side and see if I can see the flash light. You can also see how clear the wine is when you look at the light (you'll be able to see how clear it is). If it is not clearing it might have been degassed enough. This would keep it from clearing. I personally use a gas getter (which i love) others use the all-in-one, and many till do it the hard way (manually). Some times it takes weeks to finish clearing. Most of wine making is waiting.

I hope this helps

Kevin

You should be seeing a nice sediment build up in the bottom of the carboy.

Reds tend to look cloudy if they are not properly cleared. It affects the taste, also. As mentioned, you should be able to see a flash light beam vaguely through the wine.

Keep the wine topped off until bottled.

Things that might help us to help you....

1) Which kit is this? Be as EXACT as possible. Different kits, different quirks

2) Temperature?

3) Specific Gravity?

4) How did you degas the wine?

Steve

I'm only into my first few kits but the one thing I learned from my first kit until now would be; time is your friend.

First couple of kits I was in panic mode at every step if things didn't go on schedule.

If you followed the instructions and degassed properly everything should be fine. Give it time.

Latest posts

Back