Red Sox Pennant Blueberry Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwwino

Reaction score
I prepared a blueberry wine tonight while listening to Game 7 of the ALCS. It is 6-2 Red Sox leading with one out in the bottom of the eighth. It is looking like the Red Sox might win. I'll name this wine after the winning team. Here are the ingrediants:

15 lbs. blueberries
1 lb. raisins
1 liter Winexpert Red Grape Concentrate
9 lbs. sugar
25 drops of pectic enzyme
1.5 tsp. tannin
5 tsp. yeast nutrient
3.5 gallons water
5 Campden tablets

I'm making 5 gallons. I will let it sit for 24 hours and measure the acidity tomorrow after work and make any adjustments then. I'll also measure SG at that time. I plan to pitch two packets of Cotes de Blanc tomorrow night. I'll post a photo tomorrow. Edited by: dfwwino

It's definitely looking like it'll be Red Sox Pennant wine barring a miracle by the Indians. It's now 9-2!
smiley3.gif

DFW! Awesome! My SWMBO will not let me watch as of account her parents made her play as a child, and thus she *hates* baseball. Me, I love it, but I think I love her more...so, I content myself with news papers and the occaisional highlight. I did manage to get myself to Fenway last year, so that was a highlight! Next year I hope to get to touch the ivy at Wrigley! The Sox are one of my favorite times next to the Blue Jays!

Good luck with your Blueberry Wine...sometimes it is a slow starter...mayber some Yeast Energizer if you get a slow start.

I tested the SG and it is 1.090. No adjustment necessary. I added 5 tsp. acid blend to raise the acidity to .65. At NW's suggestion, I added 2.5 tsp yeast energizer. I'll post some photos tomorrow night after my wife returns from a business trip. She's got our camera in her car.
smiley19.gif

Dean,

I spent most of my first marriage unable to watch any baseball too. While that was not the reason for my divorce, my current wife does not mind me watching baseball and she'sa big Dallas Cowboys fan too. So sports is more accepted this time around.

I must confess, I am first a L.A. Dodger fan, as I was raised in L.A. But my favorite AL team is the Red Sox. When I was a kid, the Angels were just too sorry to root for and the Red Sox played my archenemy in the World Series, the Cincinatti Reds. Who can forget Yaz, Fred Lynn, Jim Rice and Carlton Fisk, as he waved his home run fair. And Bernie Carbo and Dwight Evans with his rifle arm. Also, in October 2004, Boston pulled me out of my depression as I sat in my new apartment after my separation watchingthem pull off the greatest comeback against the Yankees. Who could mope when Schilling is on the mound, with a tendon temporarily stapled, and blood on his sock?Edited by: dfwwino

After years of heartache rooting for the Red Sox fans saw them pull off one of the greatest comebacks in sports history in 2004 beating the Yankees in the ACLS. It was sweet revenge and this year doesn't have the same feeling but it will be exciting for the Sox fans and more so for the Rockies if they can win it all.

24 hours after pitching the yeast, primary fermentation of the Red Sox Pennant Blueberry Wine has begun. Because my fruit press is in storage until I move into my new house, I used two five-gallon paint straining bags to hold the blueberries and raisins:
20071023_190520_wine3_029.JPG

While my carboys don't have fancy clothes to wear, here's a photo of my Red Sox Pennant Blueberry Wine wearing his 2004 World Series Champion baseball cap:

20071023_190725_wine3_027.JPG

Well, you should see the dust on my LA Dodgers cap. It has been awhile since they were successful. I really thought this might be the year. I read an article listing the Dodgers as the team most likely to hire Joe Torre. Personally, I think Ortiz or Beckett would do more for the team.

I racked the Blueberry wine from the primary to a five gallon carboy and a one gallon jug. I had more wine than I anticipated. I must have had some juicy blueberries. I pulled out the two paint straining bags of blueberries and raisins, pressed them with my hands to get allthe goodies, and discarded the bags and pressed berries and raisins. I like the taste of the wine, though obviously it is very harsh and yeasty. I detected a very good blueberry taste and a smoothness and body which may be due to the addition of the raisins. I'll take some pics later this weekend. I added a 1/4 tsp of kmeta to the 5 gallons and a pinch to the one gallon.

And Torre did indeed come over from the dark side, maybe time to dust of the LA cap. I would suspect the raisins help keep a nice dark color to this one.

Yes, the world is changing. The Dodgers archenemy the Yankees have now given them Torre and Don Mattingly. I think it is a great hire. I can handle Torre because I remember him as a player on the Braves and Cardinals. So, he's not solely a Yankee. I will definitely have trouble adjusting to Mattingly--Mr. Yankee whom the Yankees discarded. I read that the Dodgers will groom Mattingly to replace Torre in a few years. Perhaps I should rename my wine: Dodger Blue Berry.

Latest posts

Back