Cellar Craft Red Mountain Cab or Rosso Fortissimo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatenunley

Junior
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of great things about both the Cellar Craft Red Mountain Cabernet and the Rosso Fortissimo. While I am waiting for some of the KenRidge and Meglioli limited editions to start arriving early next year year, I need a new kit to start now. Which one would you recommend between these two CC kits?

I have made the Rosso Fortissimo and it was great. I have not made the Red Mountain Cabernet but I have read that it is also excellent. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. What did you order as limited edition kits? Perhaps you answer lies there. For example if you ordered a Cabernet, you might want to try the Rosso or if you ordered a big Italian red, you might want to go with the Cabernet. Nice "problem" to have!

In the KenRidge Showcase Collection, I ordered the California Grand Red and the French Melange a Trois and on the MM Meglioli side, I ordered the Barolo and Pinot Noir.

It's a tough decision but I think that I may go with the Rosso Fortissimo.

Done both, both are excellent wines. It all depends on what you like, what foods you like to eat. I don't sip wine just for the sake of sipping. I like to pair with foods. The Rosso will go great with any pizza, pasta and even a steak. So its pretty versatile. The RMC is a full cab so it goes great with BEEF etc.

My 2nd RMC will be two years old in December and will be hit hard starting this Fall/Winter. Still have all 30 bottles. The last split was incredible at 18mo.

I've done both, and as everyone says, these are 2 of the top shelf kits available.

Rosso Fortissimo is a super Tuscan style blend, and easily one of the crowd favorites that I've served. Super versatile, drinkable young, awesome after a year.... it's probably the single best wine I know of for a "if I had to choose just one" red wine.

Red Mountain is an incredible Cab Sav, I do not know of it's equal aside from a few commercial vins. The only minus point I have for the Red Mountain is the body is slightly lighter than the $100/bottle California Cab Sav examples I've tasted. The bouquet is ENORMOUS for a Cab Sav. It is not an early drinker... and needs 1-5 years or even more. After a year+ you will know what you paid those extra dollars for.

My advice is simply to make both.

If you want a little more advice (that you aren't asking for) add the CC Amarone and Barbera to your cellar. CC has a Syrah that's awesome as well. Even though CC was sold, so far it doesn't seem to have hurt the kit quality (but the prices are going up).

Geronimo - I like your advice. I'll start with the Rosso but will plan to make both!

I just started the RJS EP Amarone but will investigate the Barbera.

Thanks!

I just added the clearing agents to the CC Barbera. It's one of two wines I made that just had a fantastic aroma after fermentation. The other was RJS WS Super Tuscan. I also did Rosso Fortisimo and Red mountain cab and they are showing great promise.

A few days ago I bottled my CellarCraft Red Mountain Cab after 4 months post fermentation. Followed the directions except I did not use the bag for the skins. Most of my kits have been WE and I was looking for a fuller bodied cab with skins. My tasting of it upon bottling was that it still was a bit green. I set aside the half bottle left over from bottling and in two days at room temp (70F) I was surprised to find that it was extremely good - much improved over the original tasting.

I have no doubts but that this will be an excellent cab in 6-12 months and will be hard to leave alone to age. I am every impressed.

NS

I have one that has just reached 9 months but it still needs time. It is going to knock your socks off when it matures. I can't wait til next fall. It is something to look forward to.

Red Mountain Trio

I just bottled the 2012 Red Mountain Treo today and it is already great. Also did the Rosso Fortissimo a couple years back and would do it again.

I'm bulk aging the RM Trio now since July and have found it to be the very best kit i've made when it comes to color and body and maybe even taste. It was going to be my last kit for a while but turned around immediately and purchased the Argentina Malbec that CC had just added back to lineup, can't wait to free up a carboy, but I'm bulk aging this one a bit longer and planning for cold stabilization before bottling, I think it has the potential to throw off some diamonds.

I just racked the CC Argentina Malbec to secondary and the initial tasting was very promising. Excellent body and a very nice finish.

I just racked the CC Argentina Malbec to secondary and the initial tasting was very promising. Excellent body and a very nice finish.

did you get that Malbec deep color that typically comes with the varietial? I may not add finings again during stabilization, didn't add them to the RM Trio and seems to be clearing ok, color is fantastic.

Yep, super deep. I don't use finings much at all, I like the depth of color. I think it's a shame when wine looks thin because the color is stripped away.

Amen to that, let the law of gravity and time rule, also thinking about switching up the yeast on the malbec to RC 212.

Although they say RC 212 leaves more color, I find that's only true in medium to light bodied reds that are translucent in the first place. I sure can't tell the difference in the deep reds.

Latest posts

Back