Red Grape Wine Post MLF PH Adjustments

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xriddle

Reaction score
Paper Chrom. confirms my MLF is complete .... My PH meter reading is 3.2-3.3 after calibration. 2 questions ..

Should I adjust TA/PH?

How much SO2 do I need to bulk age before bottling?

Thanks

You didn't mention the TA so we can't comment really but the pH is already pretty low so It more than likely doesn't need any more acid. Use the sulfite calculator on winemaker magazine to figure out how much sulfite to add based on the pH of the wine.

I would cold stabilize the wine this Winter and try and get some tartaric acid to drop which would raise the pH a bit.

I think my TA test kit solution is expired as I was getting very low TA ... so i dont have the TA handy.
I live in Canada .. Would leaving my 50liter demis in my basement cold room (10-15 degrees Celsius) over the winter be sufficient to cold stabilize?

If you cold stabilize and drop tartaric acid out of solution, your pH will rise (go up) not fall (go down). Guaranteed.

Also you will need to use a much colder temp. Something close to -4C for several weeks to really get much to drop out.

I would not make to any additions. Playing around to much can really ruin things.

As mentioned before, cold stabilize which may bring your pH up a tenth and more importantly, taste your wine, that is the true test.

You on the low end of the acceptable scale, but still within it so I would not go crazy adding products. Your more likely to taste your additions than help your wine, which probably does not need helping.

Latest posts

Back