recorking red wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBurns

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several years ago as I was new to winemaking I used new but old corks. Now they are dry and difficult to remove. I still have 50 bottles so I think I should just remove the old corks and replace with fresh new corks. Seems like a good idea, is it??
Thanks for the feedback.

Personally, I would store bottles on their side and if they don’t leak I wouldn’t go to the work of re-corking. Hard to remove probably means they are sealed. Many natural corks will break if cork screw isn’t inserted far enough. I use NomaCorks so I don’t have to worry about the corks anymore.

thanks. The wine does taste good and I learned to use good corks now. I hope to age most these bottles several more years but so far no leaks or issues other than the corks being dry and difficult to remove.

Several years ago as I was new to winemaking I used new but old corks. Now they are dry and difficult to remove. I still have 50 bottles so I think I should just remove the old corks and replace with fresh new corks. Seems like a good idea, is it??
Thanks for the feedback.
Premium wineries recork old wines as a matter of routine.

If you have everything on hand and ready to go it should be no problem , plan your work then work your plan.

Back