Ready To Bottle. Add more Campden?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Reaction score
Hi!

OK, ready to bottle WHoo Whoo!

SO here is the history: Made jan 4 2015 (over a year ago), its the Old Lodi Zin kit. I racked on 1/11, stabilized on 1/31, racked again on 2/14, 4/4 clarified on 5/16, racked in july and addeed camden, racked in november added camden.

So now I am here, ready to bottle. I will probably rack and then bottle.... should I add any more camden? Anything else I should do?

Last dose was November correct?? Would not hurt to dose it one last time when you rack. Wait a week to bottle

Yes, last dose November. So if I dosed it today, I cant bottle today? I thought I could move it across and dose and bottle all at one time...

And I use two tabs, does that seem right?

I have given a shot of k-meta then bottle with no bad effects. Crush the campden fine, dissolve it in a bit of your wine and gently stir it in. You should have no problems. Many times I have stabalized (added k-meta and sorbate) sweetened and bottled. all in the same day. As long as the wine is finished fermenting, clear and degassed I have not had a problem. Things can happen and you might have a problem but I would add the campden and finish it out and not worry about it. Arne.

I have given a shot of k-meta then bottle with no bad effects. Crush the campden fine, dissolve it in a bit of your wine and gently stir it in. You should have no problems. Many times I have stabalized (added k-meta and sorbate) sweetened and bottled. all in the same day. As long as the wine is finished fermenting, clear and degassed I have not had a problem. Things can happen and you might have a problem but I would add the campden and finish it out and not worry about it. Arne.

Agree!! In the spirit of not rushing things I suggested waiting a week. Not absolutely necessary, just gives the Campden/K-meta a chance to thoroughly incorporate and a final "settling out" before bottling. Not likely to harm anything either way tho. :ib

OK, wait a week then- I can do that. I moved it over yesterday and mixed in the Campden. Then I stirred vigorously with a whip. Should I stir again the day be for bottling, or just let it go?

OK, wait a week then- I can do that. I moved it over yesterday and mixed in the Campden. Then I stirred vigorously with a whip. Should I stir again the day be for bottling, or just let it go?

Allow it to settle. No more stirring! After this long I'd doubt that there'll be anything worth racking off,, BUT you never know. Personal preferences now.
Clean equipment and bottle-up! Your patience will be rewarded. Enjoy it
:try

I measure out the SO2 and put it in a beaker, then pull wine out and swirl the beaker until it is fully dissolved. I'll then add to the wine and rinse the beaker a few times with wine. Having the SO2 dissolved, before it is added to the wine makes me feel better that it will all be getting incorporated. I try to do my last addition the day before bottling. Note: your "stirring vigorously with a whip" will blow off a lot of the effective SO2. I'd treat the wine with kid gloves, trying to minimize the oxygen exposure.

Latest posts

Back