Re-Using Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize we have a bajillion threads on how best to remove the labels from bottles. However, I wanted to share my experience this evening.

I tried the oven method that several people have suggested. It worked quite well. I heated my oven to about 225 F, and put a dozen or so bottles in. After about 10 minutes, I took one out and replaced it with a cold one. With the hot one (held by an oven mitt), I scraped the edge of the label with a knife, then peeled the label off, generally in one piece. By the time I worked through the 12 original bottles, the "new" one was hot and ready to be peeled.

Some bottles were VERY easy, and took maybe 4 seconds to delabel. Others took a little more care and/or scraping. About 6 out of 50 did not respond well to this regimen (generally, the labels would just rip over and over.) Also, many left a residue that I will have to remove with either a solvent or Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW), but I am confident that step will be MUCH easier without a label in the way!

Try it next time you have the oven on low. You'll like it!

I hate removing labels to the point that I started buying new bottles.
But just before that I read somewhere, that if you put them in the oven at say 300F for a while, it makes the process much easier. makes sense given that labels have synthetic glue. Ment to try that for a while.

P.S. Haven't seen the previous post.

Last edited:
After last night I can now tell you that I no longer fear my wife's bottles of Mark West!

They were the hardest bottles to strip. I would soak and scrap and use goo bee gone and it took for ever!

Last night I had one bottle to clean. Just one. I just did not want to soak and scrape,
So I threw it in the over with the kids chicken nuggets!

10 minutes at 300F and the label peeled off.
I jumped, I did a snoopy dance!
I yelled at the bottled "I fear you no more"!!!!

My Enthusiasm was probably a little scary! but the oven works well on those hard to strip labels!
:br

My label removal method is truly the ONLY WAY TO GO...

I went to walmart and got a 1600psi electric pressure washer.
I built a chicken wire cradle to caress the bottle.
I hit it with a medium fan setting and the label just peals off like a banana.

I can completely clean a case of bottles (including those pesky plastic labels with rubber based cement) in about 5 minutes.

Although I never had a bottle break on me, I do wear eye-protection (just in case).

I think I'm going to try boiling my wine bottles and scraping them while they're still hot this time. I've tried just about everything else and I'm not impressed. I've got plenty of big pots and if I boil the bottles I can skip the sanitizer.

I soak mine in water, use a single edge razor blade in a scraper, wipe with mineral spirits, then wash the outside.

I find the labels are a lot like the wine I make inside them.... Patience! Soak them well and it takes minimal scraping and a Brillo to do the final cleaning....

Since trying the oven method last week, which worked so well.
I just ran across my first bottle which would not cooperate in the oven.
Heated for 10 min, 1/4 of the label just peeled of in a layer, leaving a majority I he label and glue there.
I had to toss it in the sink, soak and scrape!
Kind of disappointed, I thought I had made some real strides with the oven method!

Well, I'm not buying any more used bottles. My local place went up to 5 bucks a case, I found a place to get new ones for 8 bucks a case. Its not worth 3 bucks a case for me to be bothered scraping labels anymore.

Well, I'm not buying any more used bottles. My local place went up to 5 bucks a case, I found a place to get new ones for 8 bucks a case. Its not worth 3 bucks a case for me to be bothered scraping labels anymore.

OK. New ones for $8 a case. Who did you bribe????
And where is the source??
Probably nowhere near the center of the US.

Since trying the oven method last week, which worked so well.
I just ran across my first bottle which would not cooperate in the oven.
Heated for 10 min, 1/4 of the label just peeled of in a layer, leaving a majority I he label and glue there.
I had to toss it in the sink, soak and scrape!
Kind of disappointed, I thought I had made some real strides with the oven method!

I've been using the oven method too the last couple of times. I'd say I get about 90% good results. I have noticed the cheaper the wine, the harder the label is to get off. Yellow Tail is one of the worst.

dralarms said:

At $8 I would buy new ones!
It is double that here!

You know, at the rate I have been collecting 'em, it would probably make good sense to just recycle the 10% of them that are tough to delabel. Somehow, I cannot make myself see that in the heat of the battle! ;)

You know, at the rate I have been collecting 'em, it would probably make good sense to just recycle the 10% of them that are tough to delabel. Somehow, I cannot make myself see that in the heat of the battle! ;)

You are a fast learner. It took me 3 years to figure that out!!!! I also pitch the heavy dark glass bottles.

You have to pay for used bottles? That would stink.
Our local stores, wineries, etc. give them to me free of charge. It saves them from filling up their dumpster or recycle bin.

Latest posts

Back