Using the Dregs!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellar Frog

Junior
Reaction score
I have been very successful in reusing the leftover lees in my batches to create some my most drinkable blends. I put the lees together into a gallon carboy until I have enough to rack off into another carboy, eventually building a gallon of unique and so far delicious wine. My latest gallon of "dregs" is a blend of Malbec, Liebfraumilch, and Sangiovese/merlot. This has greatly reduced the waste dumped down the drain! And makes for a special bottle to share with my neighbors!IMG_20230705_105446.jpg

I’ve done that twice now with my bigger batches. I save the gross lees add some new juice or sugar a little yeast and it does make some great Frankenwine.

It works as long as you haven't added inhibitors like potassium sorbate to the mix. Gives you great latitude in designing your "second wine". Traditionally second wines are from the second pressing of the fruit, but using the gross lees is a great wave to kickstart another batch!

I have used this a couple times to start Skeeter Pee. Whatever you started with gives each batch a unique color and flavor which is a bonus! Intend to do that with the current OK wild plum, sand plum, etc batch that I just got started.
By the way, I saw a post the other day about yeasts not expiring when they say. I had a 02/2018 Lalvin ec-1118 so I did a starter with warm water, bit of sugar, pinch of yeast nutrient and in 10 minutes had active foaming. Waited a bit and added about 4oz of plum must to it. Very active next morning so added to the must. 2 hours later had very large foaming cap. Thanks! This will expand my opportunities since I don't live near a supply store and hate to order yeasts in the OK summers.

Latest posts

Back