Re-Using Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped reusing bottles when a local winery started selling me cases of bottles for $7.00 each, at $0.58 per bottle (new) it is well worth it. This same winery is now changing over to screw tops and wants to get rid of all cases of bottles....I'm going to try to get a pallet.

I stopped reusing bottles when a local winery started selling me cases of bottles for $7.00 each, at $0.58 per bottle (new) it is well worth it. This same winery is now changing over to screw tops and wants to get rid of all cases of bottles....I'm going to try to get a pallet.

I only clean the bottles I put labels on or the bottles other wine makers have given me. We have a supplier here that used to manufacture and is hoping to start production again where we can get new for $6.00 per case. Right now they have limited supply but still worth the trip.

I cant see paying for something I can get for free so I like many others go through de-labeling I have found that a scraper or knife will remove the paper and a little WD-40 will usually remove the glue as for sanitation I soak in a bleach bath (I know bleach is a bad thing with wine) I then give a thorough rinse and prior to use a hot water bath just like mason jars for canning for sterilization. As for labels I use a piece of masking tape and a sharpie to mark the cork ie. S for strawberry D for dandelion C cherry and so on.

Last edited:
Wd-40? Hmmm now there's an idea. Ever have any problems with it making its way into your wine?

dessertmaker said:
Wd-40? Hmmm now there's an idea. Ever have any problems with it making its way into your wine?

I used to use WD 40 but then switched to a citrus based goo be gone. It just seemed easier to wash off the bottles.

I used to use WD 40 but then switched to a citrus based goo be gone. It just seemed easier to wash off the bottles.

I tried goo gone and found that it doesn't soak through the labels of my local winery and WD works very fast on the glue after scraping off all the paper and no I haven't had any issues with wd-40 in my wine as I only put a little on a rag and scrub at the glue.

I tried goo gone and found that it doesn't soak through the labels of my local winery and WD works very fast on the glue after scraping off all the paper and no I haven't had any issues with wd-40 in my wine as I only put a little on a rag and scrub at the glue.

I use Goo Be Gone on a rough scrub pad and it works great after I scrape the label off with a razor blade.

I'd never introduce WD40 or any oil based product to cleaning wine bottles, or bleach for that matter.

Just saying.................my thoughts only...

I was cleaning used bottles until I found 63 cases online. New still in the box for $3 a case. I still save bottles and have divided them into like sections. when I get enough of a certain type I will use the green for a change.
AS for my new labels I use milk for a glue. The labels stay put for the most part but come of in 2 seconds once wet.

Some labels will peel off clean with dry heat. If you don't want to heat up the house by putting those in the oven, try leaving them in the car in 90+ degree heat.

Some labels will peel off clean with dry heat. If you don't want to heat up the house by putting those in the oven, try leaving them in the car in 90+ degree heat.

I'll try my heat gun. Hope the bottle dont brake lol

The 99% isopropanol I get at the pharmacy seems to strip labels off wine bottles right quick. Every once in awhile the Safeway pharmacy has it on sale for $10/for 10 pint bottles. It's what I use when a soak in dish detergent/water doesn't quite do it.

I just let them soak a couple days in a bucket of water and scrape them off with a butter knife then scrub them with a scotch pad,it takes a little work there is no magic lable removers that I am aware of!!!

I have tons of bottles that I want to reuse. Has anyone had success reusing them without stripping the labels? I HATE stripping the labels.

I get a homer bucket and every other day dropp 6 bottles into warm soapy water and let sit for a day or 2.
Then the labels generally just peel off.
If they do not peel off, I use a plastic putty knife and just scrap off.
Spritz some goo be gone if needed.

It is a process, but once you get into the habit, it is not nearly as bad as you think!
Just slightly time consuming!

For me it is easier if I do em as I get em. Doing a few at a time is a lot less daunting than saving them up and then facing a monstrous task.

I just let them soak a couple days in a bucket of water and scrape them off with a butter knife then scrub them with a scotch pad,it takes a little work there is no magic lable removers that I am aware of!!!

I soak overnight in warm water (at first) with oxyclean in a large plastic storage bin. Next day, I use drill with bottle brush real good, drain, cut off top pvc shrink wrap, scrape label with plastic putty knive, course scotchbrite pad to take the glue off. Then I soak in clean hot water, rinse with bottle rinser and spray inside with Starsan. did about 60 bottles Sunday in about an hour or so.

You guys must have a good source for bottles with labels that are easy to remove. One winery that I have bought from before has labels that come off easily with OxiClean. A lot of store bought labels are easy... but a lot also are not.

I find myself now buying commercial wine not based on taste or price, but based on how easy the label looks to remove

Yes, I found most labels come off fairly easy with couple of day's soak. There are some stubborn ones but very few. I clean the label off with pretty much the same method as what everyone's summarized above. Quick dip in the starsan and let dry before I pack them in a box for the next time.

My neighbor who gives me all his empties ( I return a full one from each batch as a thank you ) drinks Bola. I soak them in pot that's deep enough to cover the labels. I run them under hot tap water let em soak a couple of hours and by the time the water has cooled down I give the bottle a spin and the label floats off. If they haven't soaked enough I occasionally have to give em a little rub with the abrasive back of the sponges that my wife uses but i love those bottles. :D

I find myself now buying commercial wine not based on taste or price, but based on how easy the label looks to remove

I did that for a while myself. Found a handful that I liked and whose labels came off with relative ease. I bought a lot of those for a number of months.

Back