Re-bottle? (due to sediment and not enough degassing)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mplaa

Junior
Reaction score
Just completed (first ever) batch of cab from a kit (Grand Cru). everything went fine...except after the bottling was finished we noticed that there was some sediment in the bottom of most bottles. After opening the first bottle, turns out we also didn't degass good enough.

I am not worried about the gas, since we can put in a decanter and it is fine.

more concerned about the excess sediment in many bottles.

question is -- am I ok to uncork the bottles with sediment, strain them and rebottle?

the wine has been bottled for 3 weeks now.

thanks in advance.

How long had it aged? Remaining gas CO2 in your wine will/may cause your bottles to blow if there is enough in it and especially as the temp. raises. The excess sediment would be okay as long as your okay, just pour slowly.

You may want to uncork (your prerogative) and return to a carboy to degass and clear completely. Then rebottle. I have never made wine from a kit, always from juice. Not that that matters.

it has aged about 3 weeks. there is not a lot of gas so i dont think i am at risk of the bottles blowing out. thanks

it has aged about 3 weeks.

I'm not referring to how long in the bottle, how long has it aged after the clearing stage. Typically reds should age a year but I now kits don't have to have that much time.

Even kits reallt do need more time then stated in the instructions. This is why we all age in bulk (carboy) much longer then the instructions although I know its much harder to do when its your first few kits. Since you just addede sulfite a little while ago youll be ok but do so as gentle as possible for 2 reasons. 1 reason beong so you can lave as much sediment in the bottles and then wash and sanitize them again before use and 2 so as not to oxidize your wine much. I would also add more sulfite once yu get it all in the caboy cause all thet 02 exposure will dissipate some S02 possibly leaving it vulnerable. Add another 1/4 tsp or 4 tablets.

If you are gonna keep all the bottles then I suggest a "bottle filter"
http://www.fieldstonevineyards.com/catalog/i22.html
I would not empty all the bottles as you have a good chance of oxidizing the wine. Like what Steve said what did you do from begining to bottling and timeing.
I/WE think you bottled to soon.
PATIENCE !!!!![/
BTW where in PA R U ?

Last edited:
it was a 4-week kit. 2 weeks in the primary. then 2 weeks in the carboy. then into the bottles. thanks for all the responses.

I think its better to keep the wine in the bottle and search for filter. The taste might spoil if you transfer. And don't uncork.

it was a 4-week kit. 2 weeks in the primary. then 2 weeks in the carboy. then into the bottles. thanks for all the responses.
Not all wines are ready to bottle on the directions timetable. It appears that you bottled to soon and not enough rackings.

Now, I would say what I suggested above (a bottle filter).

You still left out alot of info on what kit it is and what steps you did and when.

Not all wines are ready to bottle on the directions timetable. It appears that you bottled to soon and not enough rackings.

Now, I would say what I suggested above (a bottle filter).

You still left out alot of info on what kit it is and what steps you did and when.

Tom is right as usual. If I were to disagree, I would say to open them all and go back into the carboy for at least a month or longer. As long as the sulfite is right, the O2 will not hurt. :b

Latest posts

Back