RASPBERRY Jam as an F-pac

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loumik

Reaction score
I have 4 gals of raspberry wine in secondary and before the time gets here to stabilize and degass I want to find out if I should add additional pectic enzyme if I use a 20 oz. jar of raspberry jam as an f-pac. The jam does contain pectin. I did add liquid pectic enzyme before pitching the yeast.:?

LOUMIK

try to get a jam solution to clear on its own before adding as an fpac, perhaps? expose and expose again to pectic enzyme and water, then reduce via heat, before pitching?

??? A f-pac is added AFTER the wine is stabilizexd (adding meta and sorbate).
Adding it with years will fesult in a higher %

I just used Raspberry jam as an f-pac. I followed someone's instructions on here, I think it was SarahRides, I heated the jam, let it cool, I had to strain the seeds through a sanitized nylon (new of course), then added 1 tsp of pectic enzyme. I added this to my finished stabalized wine and it's clearing really nice, I didn't even use a clearing agent.

I just noticed you said you had a 4 gal batch, mine was only one gal, so I only used one jar of jam.

Winegirl

Thanks for the information. That is exactly what I wanted to know. My wine should be ready to rack in another 2-3 days then all I have to do is decide how much jam I need for the raspberry flavor I want. I'll prepare a couple of jars to have ready after I have added the k-meta and sorbate.

??? A f-pac is added AFTER the wine is stabilizexd (adding meta and sorbate).
Adding it with years will fesult in a higher %

Tom,
I guess my question wasn't very clear. I intend to add jam after wine is finished fermenting and has been racked and stabilized, not while in secondary.

Thanks for your help,

LOUMIK:hug

I just used Raspberry jam as an f-pac. I followed someone's instructions on here, I think it was SarahRides, I heated the jam, let it cool, I had to strain the seeds through a sanitized nylon (new of course), then added 1 tsp of pectic enzyme. I added this to my finished stabalized wine and it's clearing really nice, I didn't even use a clearing agent.

Hi. I have 6 gallons of blackberry jam wine in 2ndary @ 0.998 and was pondering how to sweeten after finished, campden and sorbate. This sounds promising so let me just ramble to make sure I understand.

• Heat jam in a SS pan on stove until it is hot liquid then let it cool. When it cools will it be in a more liquid state?
  • After cooling, add 1 tsp pectic enzyme to each pound of jam to help turn it into juice. When I made the original jam wine I read on Jack Kellers blog to let the pectic enzyme work on the jam for 72 hours before adding other ingredients into primary. So wondering how long to wait on this step for enzyme to do what it does?
  • Somehow manage to pour this pan full of jam into a new sanitized womans nylon sock? so it will strain through into another pan and catch seeds/solids. There has to be some easy method to hold it open while pouring - like a butterfly net type set up?
  • Then I stir this into my recently racked finished, campden tableted, sorbated carboy.
  • Am I shooting for a SG of around 1.008 - 1.010 or would that be way to sweet and overpowering?
  • Then top up, air lock and wait until it clears. Do I stir any more?
  • After it clears, rack again to remove sediment. Est time frame?

Why not buy the seedless jam and then there would be no reason to strain?

Hi. I have 6 gallons of blackberry jam wine in 2ndary @ 0.998 and was pondering how to sweeten after finished, campden and sorbate. This sounds promising so let me just ramble to make sure I understand.

• Heat jam in a SS pan on stove until it is hot liquid then let it cool. When it cools will it be in a more liquid state?
  • After cooling, add 1 tsp pectic enzyme to each pound of jam to help turn it into juice. When I made the original jam wine I read on Jack Kellers blog to let the pectic enzyme work on the jam for 72 hours before adding other ingredients into primary. So wondering how long to wait on this step for enzyme to do what it does?
  • Somehow manage to pour this pan full of jam into a new sanitized womans nylon sock? so it will strain through into another pan and catch seeds/solids. There has to be some easy method to hold it open while pouring - like a butterfly net type set up?
  • Then I stir this into my recently racked finished, campden tableted, sorbated carboy.
  • Am I shooting for a SG of around 1.008 - 1.010 or would that be way to sweet and overpowering?
  • Then top up, air lock and wait until it clears. Do I stir any more?
  • After it clears, rack again to remove sediment. Est time frame?

-Yes, it's to make it thinner, but I did find once mine cooled, it wasn't a lot thinner, but I did read not to add the enzyme when warm as it will kill it.
-I didn't wait until adding to the wine. Probably would've been ok to wait.
-I cut the foot part off about 8in, strecthed over a funnel to pour the jam in, it wouldn't actually run through it, I had to squeeze it through, but the funnel held it open so I could get it in the nylon.
- Correct, pour into stabalized wine.
- Sorry, I didn't take the reading afterwards, just liked how it tasted.
- I didn't stir again after initial stirring.
- Mine cleared within a week and a half with no clearing agent. It was only a gallon, so that's likely why.

I didn't think I could get seedless here, but I did find some smuckers afterwards. Also, I had bought no name which had sulfites, so I couldn't use it to ferment with, but I wanted to use it up. so worked good for an f-pac.

I did use seedless jam. I thinned mine by adding a small amount of hot water to the jam, worked on it wih a wire whisk then micro-waved about 30 seconds then used the whisk again. It came out very thin. Let it cool over night and added pectic enzyme, poured into the wine. SG was 1.010. I think the small amount of water may have been what kept the jam thinned out, so I didn't have to get it very hot.Presently clearing.

LOUMIK:dg

I did use seedless jam. I thinned mine by adding a small amount of hot water to the jam, worked on it wih a wire whisk then micro-waved about 30 seconds then used the whisk again. It came out very thin. Let it cool over night and added pectic enzyme, poured into the wine. SG was 1.010. I think the small amount of water may have been what kept the jam thinned out, so I didn't have to get it very hot.Presently clearing.

LOUMIK:dg
Excellent!! I may try that next time if I can ever get the Raspberry one I'm doing now unstuck.

-Yes, it's to make it thinner, but I did find once mine cooled, it wasn't a lot thinner, but I did read not to add the enzyme when warm as it will kill it.
-I didn't wait until adding to the wine. Probably would've been ok to wait.
-I cut the foot part off about 8in, strecthed over a funnel to pour the jam in, it wouldn't actually run through it, I had to squeeze it through, but the funnel held it open so I could get it in the nylon.
- Correct, pour into stabalized wine.
- Sorry, I didn't take the reading afterwards, just liked how it tasted.
- I didn't stir again after initial stirring.
- Mine cleared within a week and a half with no clearing agent. It was only a gallon, so that's likely why.

Thanks! I low boiled a jar of it then cooled then added 1.5 tsp enzyme and put it back in the jar in the fridge to let it do it's thing for a couple days.

Thanks! I low boiled a jar of it then cooled then added 1.5 tsp enzyme and put it back in the jar in the fridge to let it do it's thing for a couple days.

Let me know if it turns really thin doing it this way. I'm curious.

Let me know if it turns really thin doing it this way. I'm curious.

Hi. My wine just keeps bubbling even tho it's 0.944 so I have to wait to stabilize and add the last jar of jam. Since you asked, I went to fridge and checked it. I keep the fridge colder than most so I was expecting it to be thick however it was about the consistency of room temperature pancake syrup - like what they have out at IHOP. So the enzyme is indeed working even it a cold environment.

Last edited:
Hi. My wine just keeps bubbling even tho it's 0.944 so I have to wait to stabilize and add the last jar of jam. Since you asked, I went to fridge and checked it. I keep the fridge colder than most so I was expecting it to be thick however it was about the consistency of room temperature pancake syrup - like what they have out at IHOP. So the enzyme is indeed working even it a cold environment.

Excellent, I think I'll give that a whirl too. Have it ready ahead of time, be easier to filter the seeds from mine I think. I want to use up the jam before getting the seedless kind again. It's great to get everyone's ideas on here. Thanks for letting me know.

Latest posts

Back