Raspberry Experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohenhouse77

Patience Apprentice
Reaction score
I started a batch of Skeeter Pee yesterday, (makes 4 batches going right now). My last batch of 3 berry had a noticeable raspberry flavor come forward. My friends really liked it but a few mentioned that if I was taking requests that they would like one with even more raspberry.

I had all intentions of using only frozen raspberries (6 lbs) but couldn't find them at the store, and fresh ones are outrageously priced. I had given up and decided to just do something different. Then I found my wife's tea stash and started looking at ingredients. The raspberry tea ingredients are: Hibiscus, rose hips, apple, and raspberry. They taste great and very raspberry'y. I have added 12 bags to the 5 gallons and it has changed color dramatically and tastes wonderful. The whole room smells like raspberry. We'll see how it turns out but the only thing I would add from here is raspberry extract to add essence.

I'll keep updating progress....

Welches also sells red raspberry white grape concentrates

Looks good tho!

Last edited:
I have use Kroger store brand Black Raspberry Preserves in 18oz jar as a SP starter and back sweetening. Great color, aroma, flavor, etc. Never tried tea but why not!

How do you apply the preserves as a back sweetening? Do you use it to make an F pack, or do you dilute it in some way first?

How do you apply the preserves as a back sweetening? Do you use it to make an F pack, or do you dilute it in some way first?

Not saying it is the best way... My process of back sweetening 5 gallons of SP w seedless preserves or jam. After the SP has finished fermenting and the S air lock bubbles are equal; rack into a clean carboy with 5 crushed campden tabs and 2.5 tsp potassium sorbate. Observe airlock overnight to assure it really has finished fermenting. Heat 2 18oz jars of seedless preserves in a lidded stainless steel sauce pan; constantly stirring until it is a very hot liquid - thus creating a sterile environment. Cover and allow to cool down to warm liquid. Sprinkle / stir in 3 tsp Pectic Enzyme. Leave the lid on to keep contaminates out. Allow time for the pectic enzyme to do it's magic of liquifying. Then add it to taste / sweetness to the SP. Rack again after it settles out.

Never would have thought to try tea. I'm making a blueberry SP variant and want a very blueberry flavor in the end. I'll have to try this out with some Celestial blueberry tea.

There is a 32 ounce bottle of 100% blueberry juice available at health food stores or the organic section of some supermarkets. That is what I am using when I back sweeten. If you do use the tea, let me know how it works out.

There is a 32 ounce bottle of 100% blueberry juice available at health food stores or the organic section of some supermarkets. That is what I am using when I back sweeten. If you do use the tea, let me know how it works out.
I was planning on doing this, but then it would dilute the abv. So, not sure...

So....I take it back. Don't use the tea unless you want raspberry tea wine. It imparted some strange flavors that I can't get past. I'll let my friends try it, but I think my bottles are to good for this stuff.

what i did for the raspberry flavor was went and bought white grape raspberry frozen concentrate 400 grams of sugar per gallon backsweetened it this way, one whole batch, it was a winner, still got some ageing

Back