Rasberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tovis

Reaction score
Did a test with some to see how it would taste. Not sure if I want to do something sweet or more on the dry side. Is raspberry any good over time dry?

What I tried was hard to describe but over time as it smooths i wonder if it would get better.

My first thought to the dry part was to leave it dry and age it. See how it taste later on then decide if it's to your liking. If not take a small amount and add a little sugar to see if you like it that way and pick the way you like better.

Raspberry can be a finicky wine. It does not do well if left on the gross lees to long, and the seeds can nearly ruin it if not removed completely after fermentation. With that said, I have had both dry, semi sweet, and desert sweet raspberry wine. I found all to be delightful in their proper context. The appreciation of any particular style of wine Is subjective, Like a beautiful woman. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I would ferment to dryness. sample just before bottling, If I like the way it tasted and feels on the pallet, I would work under the assumption that it will get better with time and bottle it as is. If I was not satisfied with the current results. I would sweeten to where it was satisfactory then bottle. Again under the assumption that time would bond the fruit and bring it's sweetness forward.

Wow, very helpful. What characteristic does it take on if it is dry once it smooths out? This one I try, but have no idea because others have changed quite a bit. Our Kiwi and Banana wines it seems like everytime we try a test bottle they taste different.

Back