Raisin Alternative

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehlenrg

Junior
Reaction score
Just started 6 gallons of cranberry wine. The recipe called for 1# raisins per gallon. After finding out raisin were $2.99 per pound, I split the batch into 2 gallons without raisins and 4 gallons with just to see it they actually made any difference when I was done. Now for the question. Assuming that the cranberry with raisins in decidedly better, is the a less expensive alternative to add body or accomplish whatever else it is that raisins are supposed to account for?

Raisins are for adding body which you can also do with bananas, tannin, or grape concentrate.

I hate banana!!!
smiley7.gif
But they are goodfor adding body to wine.
smiley20.gif
A ton of raisins are better.
smiley14.gif

One pound of raisins per gallon for Cranberry. Where did you get the recipe? If there is a Sam's near you they have a much better price.

Raisins will add some of there own flavor to a wine and need at least 6 mo. in the bottle to make a nice drinking wine with 3-6 mo. bulk ageing....But do add a lot to fruit wines..

Bulk Food Stores and Health Food Co-ops are a good source for raisins too....They also have Craisins [dried cranberries] Zante Raisins [called currents] I tried some Zante Currents in a batch lately and thought it added some nice touches.

Sam's and Costco are great too for large quantities at a good price.

Latest posts

Back