Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Been reading a lot about racking, but haven't come across anything telling me how to determine when I should rack. Some say 2 or 3 times, but I don't know how to tell when it's time to rack.

Thanks

Semper Fi

I rack whites every month, or so, until they're clear.

When you see the formulation of gunk on the bottom of the carboy, it's time to rack. You will repeat until you see no more gunk.

Dont rack to often. You want a hard sediment before you rack. Be very careful not to disturb what setteled.

I rack from the primary to the secondary, i rack when fermentation is complete, and then i rack when there is about 1/2" of sediment in the bottom or if it has been about 3 months time - which ever comes first. Now if there is just a dusting on the bottom - i won't rack it.

If i add a fining agent - i will rack about 2-3 weeks after.

I will also add some k-meta in if needed at each racking - make sure you measure you SO2 though.

Unless I'm ready to bottle -- then even a light dusting on the bottom could get stirred up, so I'll rack into a clean carboy first.

When I have a light dusting I will let it go until a few weeks before I bottle. I'll rack then, sweeten etc. That way when I go to bottle everything is well mixed and there are no lees on the bottom and I can siphon every drop.

When I have a light dusting I will let it go until a few weeks before I bottle. I'll rack then, sweeten etc. That way when I go to bottle everything is well mixed and there are no lees on the bottom and I can siphon every drop.

Yeah - that is why i don't rack if there is a light dusting - i will let it sit a few more weeks - then filter and bottle.

And of course we are talking about either fruit or white wines. This where filtering will polish it right up..

Latest posts

Back