Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterCooper

Reaction score
I have racked twice now. Both times I have had issues with the racking cane
and with the other end of the siphon.

I've figured out that a hose clip can solve a lot of problems with the siphon
tube moving during racking. Has anyone tries to hold the racking cane in
place by putting it through the bung?

I use a wooden clothes pin to hold the racking crane in place but george has some bucket clips.

If you are racking from a Carboy, here is what I do. Get a 24 " Stainless steel racking cane. Many suppliers have them, My cane came with a spring which slips over the bottom end, which is nice because you can adjust it up or down and also remove it. Get a CARBOY HOOD. This is that orange rubber or plastic (very pliable) cap which has a long tip and a short tip attached to it. George should have these. Pull the spring from the bottom of the cane and insert it through the shorter tip till desired depth in carboy is reached. Put tubing on the curved end of caneand run tobe to whatever you are racking to. This CARBOY HOOD will fit snug over most carboys. Then blow into long tip (this may require a bit of pressure) and a syphon will start. The racking cane will be centered to the middle of Carboy with no movement.

Bill

Hmmm, something new to add to my x-mas list!
smiley32.gif

This might help. The spring is also stainless it came with the racking cain.

Bill
2005-09-20_154623_100_0155.JPG

THe picture helps a lot. I've beet trying to figure out what "long tip" was and
how blowing would make the siphon effect. Now it's clear. Thanks

Peter, The spring keeps the bottom of the racking cane off the lees,, whats nice about this, is that if you hold the spring and twist the cane you can set the depth at which the syphon stops ator vusa versa.

Bill

You can also get the auto siphon. It does the same trick for about the same cost.

Latest posts

Back