Newby

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJD

Junior
Reaction score
I've been following a lot of threads here and believe I have learned a lot. I've made several batches of wine from kits that have come out with varying degrees of success. Tempranillo is great, but white wines are yellow - not sure what I'm doing wrong but realized that I have to keep notes and pay more attention to specific gravity (had a hard time figuring SG readings out). I've become quite obsessed with cleaning which leads to my question: how do folks clean racking canes and tubing?

how do folks clean racking canes and tubing?

For canes, I bought a tiny stopper at my LHBS (local home brew shop), it fits in the end of the cane. Then invert and fill the cane with your favorite cleanser. I use PBW 5 Star.

For tubing I coil the tubing into a gallon bucket with the same cleanser.

I've been following a lot of threads here and believe I have learned a lot. I've made several batches of wine from kits that have come out with varying degrees of success. Tempranillo is great, but white wines are yellow - not sure what I'm doing wrong but realized that I have to keep notes and pay more attention to specific gravity (had a hard time figuring SG readings out). I've become quite obsessed with cleaning which leads to my question: how do folks clean racking canes and tubing?
I run a lot of hot soapy water through them with a funnel then lots of clean water to rinse. Before use I run sanitizer through them when I’m sanitizing everything else. I know you don’t have to rinse them but they never dry well like containers so I do rinse tubing with distilled water immediately prior to use.

I’m a clean freak for wine stuff too. Everything gets the hot soapy wash and rinse after use… and again before use plus the sanitizer.

If tubing gets discolored or difficult to clean I replace it.

Welcome to Winemakingtalk

Back