racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairybhoy

Junior
Reaction score
When is the best time to rack my wine into secondary, is there a specific reading on the hydrometer i should reach or should i just rack it after 4 or 5 days regardless. My wine has been fermenting nicely for 3 days now. appreciate some advice on this.

Ideally, you want to rack once the fermentation has subsided. I usually wait until the SG is 1.01 or lower. Some people like to ferment to dry (<1.00) in the primary, and that is ok too.

While I am still a beginner at this, I have found that when I transfer to the carboy, fermentation stops (either right away or very soon after), so I have been fermenting dry in the primary. I have found that it ferments longer and drier when I do that. I've asked someone at my LHBS, and they said that as long as it is actively fermenting, there is not a risk of oxidation in the primary. If you wait too long after it is dry to transfer, it will start oxidizing.

While I am still a beginner at this, I have found that when I transfer to the carboy, fermentation stops (either right away or very soon after), so I have been fermenting dry in the primary. I have found that it ferments longer and drier when I do that. I've asked someone at my LHBS, and they said that as long as it is actively fermenting, there is not a risk of oxidation in the primary. If you wait too long after it is dry to transfer, it will start oxidizing.

If your fermentations always stop after racking them from primary, there is something going wrong, and you really need to get to the bottom of it.

I try to rack before the SG falls below 1.0.

Many of you know I ferment dry in my primary. At 1.000 I apply the lid with airlock and allow it to ferment dry over the next 2 days then rack. I give the must a good stir releasing the CO2 which gets trapped under the lid helping to protect the wine.

If you rack while the must is still fermenting you will be adding much CO2 to the carboy which has the potential of giving you a "volcano" of when you degass if not careful.

Since I have done this I have not had any problems and wheras before I would just ferment to dry without a tight lid. My musts are normally done in 6 days. Some speciality wines different.

To each his/her own.

If your fermentations always stop after racking them from primary, there is something going wrong, and you really need to get to the bottom of it.

I try to rack before the SG falls below 1.0.

I know this (whether it is the shock from the change in temperature since I use a brew belt on the primary and not the carboy, or being transferred off the slurry, lack of oxygen in the carboy, who knows), I also know it doesn't hurt it to finish it dry in the primary, and why stop it in the middle when it has a good solid ferment going? Most of the LHBS people I have talked to have said they always ferment dry in the primary, they never finish ferment in the carboy because of lack of oxygen and decreased ability to stir out the CO2, and have never had a problem with oxidation. I'm not too worried about it. :)

Sarah, I agree with everything you and Steve are saying about the advantages of fermenting to dry in the primary. I am just a creature of habbit from doing so many kits and they usually have you move to a secondary.

I agree with everyone as well, if it works for you, go for it! I just have had so many problems with transferring and finishing up the fermentation while in the carboy (I know that there is something I'm doing wrong with this), so this is the method that works best for me. I've checked with other people to see if there was anything wrong with fermenting dry in the primary, and the general consensus from most of those has been "no", it doesn't do any damage with this method. Off to start my new batch of candy cane and Niagra Cherry Pinot Noir now that I'm back from vacation and can give it some attention! Cheers! :) :b

Thanks for the advice, so it seems to me, as long as i dont let the fermentation stop in the primary, or the reading is 1.000 or higher (or is it lower) then i can rack into secondary, but what happens when the reading is 1.000 - 990 and is still bubbling away!!!

Last edited:
but what happens when the reading is 1.000 - 990 and is still bubbling away!!!
Bubbling is the release of CO2 from the wine. Basically the ferment is continuing thus saturating the wine with CO2, and this CO2 bubbles out of solution. Depending on the wine the ferment can finish at any point below 1.000.

Take sg readings and when ready transfer to a carboy. Don't do this based on bubbling, do it based on sg readings. When to do it (as shown in earlier posts) is subject to personal interpretation.

Steve

Bubbling is the release of CO2 from the wine. Basically the ferment is continuing thus saturating the wine with CO2, and this CO2 bubbles out of solution. Depending on the wine the ferment can finish at any point below 1.000.

Take sg readings and when ready transfer to a carboy. Don't do this based on bubbling, do it based on sg readings. When to do it (as shown in earlier posts) is subject to personal interpretation.

Steve

Thanks steve, the reading on my wine was 1.00 so i racked it to my secondry, left it 12hrs then monitored how much it was bubbling, it was every two minutes, is this normal!!!

I agree with everyone as well, if it works for you, go for it! I just have had so many problems with transferring and finishing up the fermentation while in the carboy (I know that there is something I'm doing wrong with this), so this is the method that works best for me. I've checked with other people to see if there was anything wrong with fermenting dry in the primary, and the general consensus from most of those has been "no", it doesn't do any damage with this method. Off to start my new batch of candy cane and Niagra Cherry Pinot Noir now that I'm back from vacation and can give it some attention! Cheers! :) :b

This is my first attempt at making wine sarah, but you seem to have lots of wine on the go, i just transferred mine from the primary (fermenting bin) to the secondary (demi-john) i took all the advise on board and went with what the sg reading was saying, it seems to have worked, as it is now bubblin away in the demi-john, although this might have somethin to do with the amount of chillis added to this brew!!

Hairybhoy (Did I spell it right?), you'll find that with almost every person, there is a different method. Yet they are all fine. Therefore, there is no magic system since I think we all make pretty good wine. I wait for three days without a change in SG. But that's not the right way, it is just a way that works for me. :)

My wine will have been in the demi-john for three days tomorrow (Friday) how often should i check the sg at this stage as i believe it will be fermented to absolute dry by now or very soon. Should i rack it again so soon after transferring it to my secondary????

My wine will have been in the demi-john for three days tomorrow (Friday) how often should i check the sg at this stage as i believe it will be fermented to absolute dry by now or very soon. Should i rack it again so soon after transferring it to my secondary????

I check SG daily and stir twice daily. Whatever you do will work out fine.

I check SG daily and stir twice daily. Whatever you do will work out fine.

Richard, my wine is in the carboy ( demi- john) it has been in there for three days, how often should i check the sg, baring in mind it was 1.00 when i transfered it.!

Richard, my wine is in the carboy ( demi- john) it has been in there for three days, how often should i check the sg, baring in mind it was 1.00 when i transfered it.!
I check the SG to determine when to transfer to secondary. Since you have already transferred, I would not check it again.
Still, all is well. :b

Right, so how do i know when to rack again!!!
Probably in about 4-6 weeks. Just keep an eye on the sediment. Too much sediment is not good and that's when to rack it. Otherwise wait the 6 wks. Bubbles are not relevant. But remember, there is no rule, whatever you do it will be OK. :b

Back