Racking wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevininPa

Reaction score
Just got done racking some wine. Racked 26.4 gallons Chancellor from barrel to the tank, blended some unoaked Chancellor/Chambourcin/Noiret to it. Racked 26.4 gallons 09 Syrah to Barrel and 13 gallons of 09 Merlot to a carboy. Thank goodness for the small pump. A couple of pics

Kevin

DSC00590.jpg

DSC00591.jpg

Nice barrels!

Thanks Wade,

I would like to get a new 30 gallon barrel. I'm torn between the barrel mill American oak or the Vadai 32 gallon Hungarian oak. Anybody have opinions on either. I've already got 2 Vadai's. I want to put my 09 Syrah in it first. Then a 10 Merlot. And Maybe a 10 Syrah. Thanks,

Kevin

WOW you were busy tonight also. I racked 4 carboys today that I'm bottling tomorrow and started an apple wine with 7 gallons of cider. Way to Kevin!

It is the rare day when I rack more than one carboy at a time. And I use a pump. :b

It is the rare day when I rack more than one carboy at a time. And I use a pump. :b

Lurker I know what you mean. I just finished 12 six gallon pails in 14 hours, (I did sleep some). I think I just dropped 10 pounds racking and running up/down stairs to stir the sparkolloid.:slp

I prefer Hungarian (Med. Toast).

Question: Can you please describe the pump you are using (flow rate, where you got it, and how much did it cost?).

Question: Can you please describe the pump you are using (flow rate, where you got it, and how much did it cost?).

The pump is a Liverani Mini-c. It supposedly will move 8 gallons a minute. I got it at Presque Isle. They have them listed for $285. I see the grape and granary(http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/4,12369.html) has them for $270.

Kevin

Yikes, I am with Lurker on this one.... never more than one carboy daily... my autosiphon costs about 12 bucks... I suppose when you only have 30 - 40 gallons going at once you get off cheap on some things..

JohnT, I believe that the best filtering system is a whole house filter with a vacuum pump. For about $150, you can be in business. No lifting carboys, no leakage, and an uncomplicated setup. Also, the filters are inexpensive and you can run several carboys through one filter. I've never run more than two through but four would not be a problem. The filter can be purchased at Home Depot or any other similar store for about $30. The pump, including S&H was $100. from Harbor Freight. Fittings about $15, and you probably already have the tubing. I get my filters Here; http://www.micronfil...om/filters.html. I love this system and there are plenty of us using it so plenty of advise is available. I use 2 filters, second rack is through a 5 micron filter and the third rack is through a 1 micron filter. After that there should be no sediment. The filter is a GE #GXWH04F. The pump is 2.5 CFM Vacuum Pump. As to flow rate, I don't know and it is not important to me. I'm certain that if I want to I can do 5 gal. in less than 10 minutes. The misconception with vacuum pumps is that wine flows thru the pump. Not so, the wine does not go thru the pump. :b

JohnT, I believe that the best filtering system is a whole house filter with a vacuum pump. For about $150, you can be in business. No lifting carboys, no leakage, and an uncomplicated setup. Also, the filters are inexpensive and you can run several carboys through one filter. I've never run more than two through but four would not be a problem. The filter can be purchased at Home Depot or any other similar store for about $30. The pump, including S&H was $100. from Harbor Freight. Fittings about $15, and you probably already have the tubing. I get my filters Here; http://www.micronfil...om/filters.html. I love this system and there are plenty of us using it so plenty of advise is available. I use 2 filters, second rack is through a 5 micron filter and the third rack is through a 1 micron filter. After that there should be no sediment. The filter is a GE #GXWH04F. The pump is 2.5 CFM Vacuum Pump. As to flow rate, I don't know and it is not important to me. I'm certain that if I want to I can do 5 gal. in less than 10 minutes. The misconception with vacuum pumps is that wine flows thru the pump. Not so, the wine does not go thru the pump. :b

Interesting system. I have a need to be able to pump several hundred gallons at a time. I currently have an impeller pump, but I understand that this might not be the best thing for wine. Do you think that this system can handle that much?

Interesting system. I have a need to be able to pump several hundred gallons at a time. I currently have an impeller pump, but I understand that this might not be the best thing for wine. Do you think that this system can handle that much?

The Liverani is an impeller pump. It has a bronze housing. To get into the stainless pump is quite a jump in price. I like it and don't believe it has any negative effects on the wine. It works well for me. For instance, last time i racked i did roughly 70 gallons. With setup, racking, and cleanup i had about 75 minutes of time invested. For filtering i have a Procon pump that moves something like 2 gallons a minute run through a Pall 10" DOE cartridge filter. The thing i don't like about the Liverani is that it is not self priming. The Procon is though. As far as vacuum pumps are concerned. I have an enolmatic and see they sell a kit for racking. I just haven't had the time to
look into it, and don't really want to buy another pump.

Kevin

As far as vacuum pumps are concerned. I have an enolmatic and see they sell a kit for racking. I just haven't had the time to
look into it, and don't really want to buy another pump.

Kevin

I have the complete enolmatic system (filter and bottle filler). I also got the racking kit. I love the fact that I can filter and bottle in one step. It works great. The racking kit is crap!! It does not work on carboys at all. With that said if you got the orange carboy cap with two holes in it and some hose and some racking cane you could rack with it just like you do with a vacuum pump. I prefer using my vacuum pump for racking as it is much stronger and if anything happened to it, I could run down and get another one for about $60.0 at Harbor Freight vs. $350.00 for the Enolmatic.

I do not see why it could not handle that. However, I have never run that much thru.

Latest posts

Back