Racking question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amytmock

Reaction score
This might be sooooo very wrong to do, but I was curious to know if you can rack a wine into the primary fermenting bucket, clean out the glass carboy, and then siphon it right on back into the same carboy.....

(just trying to plan out if I need to purchase another carboy to keep empty)

That will work, but it's easier to have +1 carboys. In other words, always have an empty to rack into, clean it and leave it empty for the next racking

I agree with Mike. When I first started, I would do it that way (rack it into the primary, then back into the carboy). But from what I understand, it isn't always great to do that because you are exposing it to more air, which isn't always a great thing for the wine(exposure to bugs/bacteria in the air, etc.). I did that for a while however and never had a problem. Good luck! :)

I prefer to rack from primary to carboy after a full fermentation. Then you should have as stated above another carboy to rack into.

If you are making 3 wines you need 4 carboys etc. Always 1 extra. Borrow 1 if u have to.

When I had a good collection of carboys, I started doing the same as Steve and Tom. until recently, I had one extra carboy in each size for this purpose. I had only racked into the primary for my first few batches until I started to collect more. I'm back down to one of each size now, but hoping to pick up a few more by the time I need to rack again. If you can help it, it's probably better not to risk exposure to air after all that work.

LOL you will want MORE than one empty one.
I have 25+ 6gallon carboys 7+ 5gallons ones and some 1gallons as well.

YES, i can have ALL of them filled at the same time.

You might say that. With over 100 gallons in carboys right now, I really don't want to start anything else at this time. I reality, California & Italian juices will be here in a few months, I have several limited edition kits ordered from George coming in October plus all the local juice from here and Walkers.

You might say that. With over 100 gallons in carboys right now, I really don't want to start anything else at this time. I reality, California & Italian juices will be here in a few months, I have several limited edition kits ordered from George coming in October plus all the local juice from here and Walkers.

Which limited selection kits did you get? I'm having a hard time choosing!

Alternate Carboy

I expect you will find differing oppions regarding plastic carboys here, but I recently purchased a carboy of Primo water at Walmart for 11 bucks. I'm using the water for coffee, ect. and when empty, I plan to keep the carboy for temporary wine storage. Heck, I saw 100 proof vodka at the liquor store in plastic containers, I figure it is ok to hold my wine for a month or two. They do require a larger bung though.

Keep in mind though that you would not want to use any kind of vacume degasser in a plastic carboy.

Best regards,
Paul

Thanks everyone, good advice. I only have the two carboys right now, but I can head down to buy my third (empty) carboy in a few weeks by the time I am ready to start racking, so I should be good I think. I just wanted to know what I could "get away with" :)

I expect you will find differing oppions regarding plastic carboys here, but I recently purchased a carboy of Primo water at Walmart for 11 bucks. I'm using the water for coffee, ect. and when empty, I plan to keep the carboy for temporary wine storage. Heck, I saw 100 proof vodka at the liquor store in plastic containers, I figure it is ok to hold my wine for a month or two. They do require a larger bung though.

Keep in mind though that you would not want to use any kind of vacume degasser in a plastic carboy.

Best regards,
Paul

Paul,

The plastic in a Primo water bottle is not the same as that in a Better Bottle (BB). The BB does not allow oxygen to pass through the plastic, but the water bottle does. I know you said you are using it only for temporary storage; that is all I would use it for; very temporary. Actually, I would not use it at all. Over time, the oxygen, though it won't hurt the water, will ruin your wine.

I haven't tried experimenting with it, but I would guess that if you leave a nice red wine in such a water bottle for six months, it will show heavy signs of oxidation by the end of the time. I know you said you use one for only a month or two; that is a month or two of steady micro oxidation that your wine likely doesn't need.

Now there is a twist to this. Should you need to introduce micro-oxygenation to your wine, the water bottle might do that. However, problems trying to control it and concern for possible plastic taste entering your wine, would make me recommend never even trying it.

What I am saying is just be careful how long you keep your hard work in one of them. :hug

Latest posts

Back