Racking oops--how concerned should I be?

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by DIYer, Jun 14, 2019 at 8:13 PM.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jun 14, 2019 at 8:13 PM #1

DIYer

DIYer

DIYer

Sigh. I was just racking my first wine kit from the bucket fermenter to a carboy. I had both on the kitchen floor because I didn't think I could safely lift the full bucket to the counter. I thought "I'll get it going and when it's about half down and the bucket is lighter, I'll raise it up." Which I did. And in the process, I pulled the hose out of the carboy and the end fell on the floor. :eek: Without thinking (because wine was pouring out onto the floor!), I snatched it up and stuck it back in the carboy.

So, how strong is k-meta?! Think it will protect from any nasties, or should I prepare myself for failure on this one? :(

2. Jun 14, 2019 at 8:21 PM #2

dralarms

dralarms

dralarms

Overboard as usual Staff Member Super Moderator

You’re fine, unless your floor is covered in horse crap.

Noontime, Bubba1, stickman and 3 others like this.
  3. Jun 14, 2019 at 8:52 PM #3

LouisCKpasteur

LouisCKpasteur

LouisCKpasteur

I haven't been doing this all that long (little bit more than two years). Because there are really all sort of vulnerabilities for a wine I think it's easy to lose sight of how robust a natural process aided by the winemake itr really is. I've checked on my cellar and found bungs blown of aging carboys twice. One time it couldn't have been more than hours, the other it could of been a couple days. Everything was fine in the end, though everything i'd read and was taught made me paranoid I'd have oxidized wine. Taught me to degas better. And I've had the same experience as you as pulling the hose out (the primary was set up too high in my case). You'll be fine.

DIYer likes this.
  4. Jun 14, 2019 at 8:59 PM #4

DIYer

DIYer

DIYer

Nah, I keep the horse in the living room. Ha!

OK, I feel much better now. Whew! I really thought this batch was hosed. (See what I did there? LOL I can make jokes about it now.)

Thanks to you and LouisCKpasteur for calming me down. :) Next time, I think I'll at least put the bucket on a chair instead of the floor. I think I could safely lift it that far, then maybe I won't have to move it mid-racking...

Noontime likes this.
  5. Jun 14, 2019 at 9:54 PM #5

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

AND.........you could get one of those handy dandy little clips that attaches to your carboy and holds the hose inside the neck............... https://morewinemaking.com/products/auto-siphon-carboy-clip-12-inch.html

Scooter68 and DIYer like this.
  6. Jun 14, 2019 at 10:14 PM #6

DIYer

DIYer

DIYer

I have one of those, but I use it to hold the auto siphon in the bucket. I didn't know they could be used for the hose end too...

7. Jun 14, 2019 at 10:26 PM #7

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

They are made to hold different sized tubes, if you get one sized for your siphon tube, it's a no brainer.............

Noontime and DIYer like this.