Racking oops--how concerned should I be?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYer

Reaction score
Sigh. I was just racking my first wine kit from the bucket fermenter to a carboy. I had both on the kitchen floor because I didn't think I could safely lift the full bucket to the counter. I thought "I'll get it going and when it's about half down and the bucket is lighter, I'll raise it up." Which I did. And in the process, I pulled the hose out of the carboy and the end fell on the floor. :eek: Without thinking (because wine was pouring out onto the floor!), I snatched it up and stuck it back in the carboy.

So, how strong is k-meta?! Think it will protect from any nasties, or should I prepare myself for failure on this one? :(

I haven't been doing this all that long (little bit more than two years). Because there are really all sort of vulnerabilities for a wine I think it's easy to lose sight of how robust a natural process aided by the winemake itr really is. I've checked on my cellar and found bungs blown of aging carboys twice. One time it couldn't have been more than hours, the other it could of been a couple days. Everything was fine in the end, though everything i'd read and was taught made me paranoid I'd have oxidized wine. Taught me to degas better. And I've had the same experience as you as pulling the hose out (the primary was set up too high in my case). You'll be fine.

You’re fine, unless your floor is covered in horse crap.

Nah, I keep the horse in the living room. Ha!

OK, I feel much better now. Whew! I really thought this batch was hosed. (See what I did there? LOL I can make jokes about it now.)

Thanks to you and LouisCKpasteur for calming me down. :) Next time, I think I'll at least put the bucket on a chair instead of the floor. I think I could safely lift it that far, then maybe I won't have to move it mid-racking...

Nah, I keep the horse in the living room. Ha!

OK, I feel much better now. Whew! I really thought this batch was hosed. (See what I did there? LOL I can make jokes about it now.)

Thanks to you and LouisCKpasteur for calming me down. :) Next time, I think I'll at least put the bucket on a chair instead of the floor. I think I could safely lift it that far, then maybe I won't have to move it mid-racking...

AND.........you could get one of those handy dandy little clips that attaches to your carboy and holds the hose inside the neck............... https://morewinemaking.com/products/auto-siphon-carboy-clip-12-inch.html

Back