Racking from primary via funnel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
I racked my last mead (Mambo Melomel) of this year tonight from the primary to secondary. I like to use chopped dried fruit in my must to add flavor and yeast nutrients and thought I would share my racking technique. I know Hippie and other would say "just use a straining bag" but I like the idea of letting the fruit be free in the must to do it's thang!

The funnel has a screen insert and I use a small spoon to scrape the fruit and other solids off the screen to get all the liquid.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?PartNumber=4704

My boy Hunter is the next generation vintner here at Valley Brew!

2005-10-24_165511_P1010021.JPG

Spoon this fruit over your cereal in the morning!

2005-10-24_165646_P1010022.JPG

Does Hunter join Dad for morning cereal with fruit? Lucky boy!

Just curious about the oxygen effect from the free-fall into the carboy. Is
oxygenation ok at this stage, or is mead different from wine in that regard?

This is great seeing the photos - keep them coming.

Bill

please don't take offense when i say this, but your son look like he was about to cry, like "daddy I don't want my picture taken." I have a son that is 5 years old and I've seen that look before. I couldn't help but laugh. You do have good looking boy there.

Great question Bill...the aeration at this stage is ok for the mead since the time exposure is small and the fermentation is still quite active (SG 1.020) so any air will be forced out with the along with the escaping CO2.

Looks good to me! I have used the same method lots of times myself, Masta. Even with a straining bag, the must will clog up the screen.

Given what you said in another thread about the relative densities of CO2
and oxygen, it makes a lot of sense, especially if the must is still so
active. Cleaning and drying the funnel appeals more than all the fuss
involved with properly cleaning and drying the transfer hose. Thanks for
sharing the method.
Bill

Now I just gotta know Masta how the heck did all dat fruit come through dat spigget on de fermenter
smiley36.gif

I knew that, just kidding. So how long could you keep that fruit in the fridge for other uses..like on cereal. I bet it would be good in a fruit salad to

Actually it smells kind of nasty and I think that is why Hunter was making that face!
smiley36.gif

Yeah, but if you want to see some alcohol-challenged flying insects, just
put it out in the compost...
smiley29.gif

Latest posts

Back