racking before dry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appleweld

Reaction score
we made a stawberry wine this summer. when the sg was 1.020 i racked into secondary. the airlock looked like a piston going up and down at first. when it slowed i checked the gravity at 1.010. the taste was incredible. i let this ferment to dry, and had to backsweeten and still never got the super taste back. its a great wine, but could you rerack and add some kmeta and sorbate to stop fermentation when the sg is 1.010 or so. id like to try this on a pear i started yesterday.

Maybe try making a strawberry F-Pac, that'll get the taste back in there. I think adding the pac would be better than trying to stop fermentation, someone much more knowledgeable should be along shortly to answer more.

Adding kmeta and sorbate will not stop a fermentation unless you were to add so much kmeta that you would want to dump your wine out. It would also be possible to start fermenting again at a later time when the sulfite levels came down which most likely would be in the bottle as it doesnt kill the yeast, just stuns it and sorbate just prevents it from multiplying but once the sulfite level came down enough the still existing yeast cells would spring back into action.

thanks for the tech wade. so when is fermentation complete, .990 or .999 ? i know yeast eat sugar to produce alcohol, but when fermentation is complete, are the yeast forever dead? as a side note, we used pure pear juice we cranked through the mill ourself. i froze 2 gallons for an f-pack if needed. would i just dump this in to taste, or does it need boiled or something.

Once the wine is stable (checked by taking sg readings for 3 days in a row with no change) then its time to add sulfite and sorbate. The sulfite is there for a few reasons.1 is to keep ant bacteria at bay which includes Malo lactic bacteria, 2 is for anti oxidant purposes. Sorbate prevents and refermentation from happening. As for adding that juice, you may want to simmer it down to concentrate it so as that you dont dilute the abv of your wine too much. I usually simmer it down to cut in in thirds meaning I will put in 3 quarts and retrieve 1 out of it.

appleweld said:
but when fermentation is complete, are the yeast forever dead?
Nope they are wandering around the wine looking for some more sugars to eat. Thats why you have to add K-meta and K-sorbate before sweetening.

Steve

Latest posts

Back