Other Racked to secondary, how long can I leave it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lepidgeon

Junior
Reaction score
I racked to my secondary at 0.996. Haven't degassed it, how long can I leave it before moving to the next step? (Degas,kmeta,chitosan,kitesol)

I have the carboy topped right up to the neck with an airlock on. It's been like that for 2 weeks. Can I leave it to age
Iike that? Or i need to add the kmeta etc before bulk aging?

Kit is a Costco Merlot kit - Argentia Ridge

Have you checked your SG? I'm guessing there's about an inch of goop at the bottom on your carboy... if it's me, I'd rack to a clean carboy, dose with Kmeta, forget about the potassium sorbate, and maybe skip the clearing agents.

If you have oak to add, do it after you rack. Let it sit for 3 months... taste, rack, dose and either bottle or wait another 3 months.

I would think so. I would leave it, just keep checking the airlock, rack it around Christmas. Then leave it till mid spring. Rack it again, should degas itself by then and think about putting it in bottles.

If you reading doesn't change within the next week, I would say fermentation is completed and you would need to add k-meta.

Wouldn't the fermentation be done at 0.996?

Nope. It can (and mine typically do) go to 0.990. I'd bet you're there.

Everyone has their own way of doing things. Until I got comfortable making wine from kits, I tried to say "inside the lines" and follow the directions. I still don't stray too far. But, I would rack, dose and leave it be until Christmas time.

Judge it's readiness for the bottle then.

Good advice already. As long as you keep the airlock in place and it isn't allowed to dry out as long as you want.

The longer the better with reds especially. I'm still new at this but the red kits come into their own starting around 6 months of aging and improve a lot each month to a year or more. Basically the longer the better.

Also while in the carboy you aren't tempted to sneak a bottle and try it so it'll last longer.

I'm coming off a Turkey day bottle-athon, and I can attest to fine results from a long time (18+ months??) in carboy bulk aging. I wouldn't age that long in traditional secondary, as you're going to have yeast flocculate that will break down, which is going to give off flavors.

If you want to go long term, do a month or more in secondary, then rack again to a fresh carboy. Now you've got bright clear wine and it will age nicely.

If you have an inch of gunk at the bottom I would rack and k-meta.

Back