Quick Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwm72513

Racketeer
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first attempt at making wine. It's just a cheap concentrate kit from the local Superstore. It's Prestige - California Red. I figured since it's my first batch I wouldn't count on spending $100+ to simply have it fail.

Anyway, my question is about the primary fermentation. The instructions say to get it all set up in the primary fermenter and take a S.G. It read at 1.075. It then states to let it ferment from five to twelve days at room temperature, or until the reading is 1.02 or lower. It's been at about 70-72 degrees for four days, when I noticed it stopped bubbling nearly as much as it was. I took another reading which was at 0.998.

My question is, was this too fast? I started the next step which is racking into the carboy for the secondary fermentation. The instructions say wait 7+ days or until the S.G. is 1 or lower. It's already lower then that, so should I wait a few days or move forward to the next step? Will this affect the finished quality of the wine?

I'm very new to this so any comments would be appreciated.

Okay, that makes a little sense. So it shouldn't hurt the end product at all?

Hey guys,

This is my first attempt at making wine. It's just a cheap concentrate kit from the local Superstore. It's Prestige - California Red. I figured since it's my first batch I wouldn't count on spending $100+ to simply have it fail.

Anyway, my question is about the primary fermentation. The instructions say to get it all set up in the primary fermenter and take a S.G. It read at 1.075. It then states to let it ferment from five to twelve days at room temperature, or until the reading is 1.02 or lower. It's been at about 70-72 degrees for four days, when I noticed it stopped bubbling nearly as much as it was. I took another reading which was at 0.998.

My question is, was this too fast? I started the next step which is racking into the carboy for the secondary fermentation. The instructions say wait 7+ days or until the S.G. is 1 or lower. It's already lower then that, so should I wait a few days or move forward to the next step? Will this affect the finished quality of the wine?

I'm very new to this so any comments would be appreciated.

Don't go by the bubbling. It can mean several different things, most of them not important.

Four days is pretty fast but not that unusual. The temperature of the must goes up sometimes alot when fermentation gets started, so it could have been fermenting at about 88F inside the fermenter. That's not a big problem, though, but that's likely why it finished faster.

The idea is to check the SG about every other day. That way you would have caught it.

Still no harm done. Just go ahead with the instructions for what you should have done when the SG got to 1.020 and let it set for a few more days. it just might want to get even lower to sometimes .992. The only way you will know when it is really finished is when the SG doesn't change for three days in a row. Again, forget about if and when it is bubbling.

Don't go by the bubbling. It can mean several different things, most of them not important.

Four days is pretty fast but not that unusual. The temperature of the must goes up sometimes alot when fermentation gets started, so it could have been fermenting at about 88F inside the fermenter. That's not a big problem, though, but that's likely why it finished faster.

The idea is to check the SG about every other day. That way you would have caught it.

Still no harm done. Just go ahead with the instructions for what you should have done when the SG got to 1.020 and let it set for a few more days. it just might want to get even lower to sometimes .992. The only way you will know when it is really finished is when the SG doesn't change for three days in a row. Again, forget about if and when it is bubbling.

I read somewhere that bubbling meant fermentation, specifically. Oh well guess I wont go by that anymore :p

Thanks robie, clears a bunch up for me.

I read somewhere that bubbling meant fermentation, specifically. Oh well guess I wont go by that anymore :p

Thanks robie, clears a bunch up for me.

Once fermentaton starts, the wine becomes loaded with CO2. Even after fermentation is done, that CO2 can make an air lock bubble for days and days afterward.

Yes, when you first see the bubbling, you can assume fermentation is underway, although it can start slowly, without much bubbling at first.

Changes in temperature and barometric pressure can also make the air lock bubble, just not very regular.

Learn to use that hydrometer, it won't mislead you like the bubbling can.

Have fun!

Sounds like they are saying, if the reading is that low for several days, then go to the next step.

A quick fermentation is not uncommon, I have seen 2 day fermentations. When you see a clear line of sediment, and all of the yeast cells have fallen to the bottom of the fermentation vessel, check your hydrometer and (if all is well) fermentation should be done. Then you can rack, and age.

That's alright. I thought fermentation had to happen for a specific amount of time. So "five to twelve days" is more of a guideline then?

Latest posts

Back