questions for a newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I would like to attempt to grow some grapes....Just enought for a few batches a year, Maybe 6 gallons of red and 6 of white...I know my climate is not ideal, but would like to try anyway, just for kicks....I have a few questions on getting started....

1. When is a good tiem to plant? Now or the spring? Can I get a few cuttings, start them in pots, then transplant in the spring if its too late now?

2. Fiarly sure my soil is horrible here....Mostly clay. I don't mind digging it out and putting in good soil....Is this possible? How big it the root structure???

3. How many cutting/vines do I need to grow of each variety in order to yield how much I want to make....I know it depends on yhield of the crop, but what wouold be a good start....

Thx

I'm in Athens, Huntsville area of North alabama, Roll Tide. And if you like muscadine wine it's a great way to start they are easy to grow in our climate. I've got 18 carlos scuppernong muscadine vines that I planted last Nov. And they are doing fantastic, I used a single trellis wire about 5 1/2 feet tall. Trained 1 main trunk to go up the trellis and 2 arms at the top of the trellis, one going each way. Check out isons web site thats where I got my vines. They are out of Georgia. ______________"There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."

Soil is important but you can grow grapes in just about anything, plant in the spring. Do not waste time trying to root them yourself, go to Double A vineyard in New York and order them. Most plants will yield about 10 pounds per plant and it takes about 120 pounds for 5 gallon of juice, demending on how hard you press them and the grape type

hope it helps

Latest posts

Back