question on temp for fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3274mike

Michigan Member
Reaction score
OK here is my question noticing more talk lately about brew belts and such. I realize I am very new to the wine making but my basement is an average of 65 degrees and have not had any fermenting issues. So far I've used red star Montrachet in most of my wines and besides a white wine I made I've done all my process at 65 degrees. The white probably would have been fine but my wife decided for a while to turn the house down to 62 making the basement 60 or so. I was planning on making a batch of danger Dave's dragon blood and saw in the recipe to ferment at 70-80 degrees. Is this going to be an issue for me or is just what temp he does it at.

I just did a blueberry skeeter pee and fermented it below 60 degrees. It took a little bit longer but it is tasting fine.

I usually ferment at lower temps. It only slows the fermentation slightly, and can benefit whites. Just research the yeast you will be using and stay within the temperature range. I do use a brew belt on ocassion, if i'm in a hurry, but my basement is in the low 60's.

Just be aware that if the fermentation stops, then you will have to warm it up to get it restarted.

Latest posts

Back