question on taste of wine on day of opening and next day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
Opened a white wine I made day before yesterday and it had a finish taste that perhaps was acidy. It was not bad but it wasn't good either. The next day, the wine was much better. I assume it was due to the exposure to Oxygen.

What do you think.

Also, I guess it would benefit from arerating.

I believe he opened it the day before yesterday, not that he made it the day before yesterday.

I certainly have noticed many wines being better the second day (on those occasions it lasts more than one day! :D). However, this is generally the case for reds, not whites. I do wonder if Barbie is correct that you had this experience with a white largely because the white had some harsh elements in it characteristic of a young wine, and those elements dissipated or got neutralized by oxidation?

Very likely a little young. It was made in February and opened in September. I will give another two or three months. A pinot I made at the same time is very good. Both from Home winery concentrate.

LOL! A White that wants to be a Red:D As Paul said, that is generally the case for reds (decanting) where tannins and acids are major components, but as you have experienced, even a white can benefit, possibly just to allow CO2 to dissipate.

Latest posts

Back