Question on oxygen getting to wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything you buy from George(This Site is 100% guaranteed and thats what separates George from the rest!!!!!!!!!! As for upping the abv it would really not hide much flavor but will take a little longer to ferment and to age. The higher the abv in the wine the longer it will take to mellow out for the flavors to come through. It is the reverse of oaking a wine as it takes time for the oak to blend in.

Swede,
Welcome to forum. You are already asking questions which we all want answers to. George has a "Resources" item on the list at the left side of his home page and it is worth viewing. This link bears on your original question and assembles all the advice already given in this thread on one page: http://www.finevinewines.com/Bottle-Aging-versus-Bulk-Aging.htm

On the matter of making wine for a wedding next year, as Wade says you better get going! I might add that you should consider whites only for that short time frame. You can most certainly get good whites. Your reds might take longer. There is a kit taste, search KT in this forum, which some people sense more than others which takes longer to age out. My oldest reds are 16 months, were premium Wine Expert kits, and all have noticeable KT although lesser KT as the wine has gotten more age. My red Mosti kits are younger, the oldest being 10 months and KT is also noticeable in them, although to a lesser extent so I am giving all the reds more time.
The whites, both WE and Mosti, werevery drinkable at 10 to 12 months although the Mosti All Juice might have improved well beyond drinkable if I had given it a chance! I am already down to my last bottle at13 months and wishing I had made one of those kits every month or two all year. It has become my wine of choice, including 15 dollar commercial Chardonnay or Chardonnay blends.Edited by: Jack on Rainy

To some KT is what is referred to as a sort of Jolly Rancher taste being somewhat artificial. I find most smaller Red kits from W.E. to be thin and lacking but dont notice th KT myself. Some people just have a better sense of taste I guess.

Latest posts

Back