Question on blending

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cibb

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got about 5.5 gallons of Merlot from last year I've not bottled yet. I'd like to create my own meritage blend.

I've red several blends with heavy merlot: 1. 60% merlot, 20% cab sav, 20% cab franc 2. 60% merlot, 30% cab sav, 10% Petit Verdot

Any other recommendations for blend ratios?

Bench, or kitchen table, trial is the way to go. I use Petit Verdot and Petite Sirah in small amounts, but otherwise it depends on the wines you are blending. Malbec and Syrah would be other candidates if you have them.

Thanks. I mostly wanted to make sure I was in the ballpark or if I was completely off base with those choices.I intend to bench test before bottling but wanted to at least get a rough idea of where to start.

What does the Merlot need? I’ve had Merlots that drink like a cab and others that are weak and thin. Agree with @Johny99 on the Petit Verdot, I’d keep it to less than 5% or else it tends to dominate and not compliment. I would also do it blind!

What does the Merlot need? I’ve had Merlots that drink like a cab and others that are weak and thin. Agree with @Johny99 on the Petit Verdot, I’d keep it to less than 5% or else it tends to dominate and not compliment. I would also do it blind!
It's more like a cab.

Added a touch of an old vine zin to test and man it is great I'm tempted to bottle half that way.

Back