Question of the Week

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
Here's the weekly noodle baker for you. This week it's short and sweet, but nonetheless thought provoking. Wine has been stored, transported and served from a variety of containers throughout history. From the clay vessels of the Roman era to the variety of modern glass bottles. As wine storage evolves, it's interesting to see how different areas developed different bottles for their own interests.
What change or improvement would you personally make to the 750mL wine bottle?

- Jim

actually i like the punts.......overall another good question...got me thinking.....i cant say that any changes are needed...well...find a way to get more glasses of wine out of that same size bottle :)

That's an easy one Al- just use smaller glasses......

I would like to see bottles that were just a bit more durable and could be legally reusable for the commercial wineries. It is always such a waste to automatically throw them out. Come up with a slightly different version of crown capper that would let them breathe - just a little. Beer bottles caps are coated with oxygen limiting (or absorbing) barriers-maybe something that was sort of like that.

Al Fulchino said:
actually i like the punts.......
Presumably you fill with a machine. Those of us using bottle filling wands don't like them.

Also the punt contributes a bit to the height difference that tepe mentioned.

Steve

I would say make them all square so that making racks would be so much easier for everyone, the bottles wouldnt roll off any shelves and youd be able to fit more bottles in your cellar!

LOL ... Thats a great idea.. Stackable wine bottles !

Any of you see the IHop commercials with the never ending pancake breakfasts......
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

THATS WHAT I WANT OUT OF MY BOTTLES
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
!

Wade,

It's funny you mentioned the square bottle idea - I had been thinking about that all night and then saw your post this morning. I figured that bottles would resemble more of the Jaegermeister liquor bottles. And as I am challenged for space in the basement cellar stacking is a definite concern.

So, I'm noting my second to the square bottle idea and then putting this out as my improvement concept: There are a variety of different techniques used with glass making to make them more artistic. Instead of different shaped bottles, I'd like to see things like iridescence in bottles (think goldstone or cool sparkly glass). While the application would likely focus most on red wine bottles (you can't see the color of the wine anyway, right?), even some cool sparkles in a white would be neat. Does it add function - not at all. Could it be cool - I think so.

Appleman - I read an article recently noting that the European Union allows the reuse of bottles - sure seems like it would be a 'greener' approach, doesn't it? It also gives a new connotation to the term 'chief cook and bottle washer.'
smiley4.gif

- Jim

Back