Other Question about SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDWines

Junior
Reaction score
I have the Vinifera kit (red zin) and the process has been going well. Once the must reaches the recommended SG do you need to rack the wine immediately? If you are within a day or two will you lose the batch?

Also, my batch started out with a thick (crusted) layer for the 1st 2 days. I'm on day 4 and the layer hasgone and is replaced with a foamy look. When I open the lid you can hear fizzing. By the way the SG is at 1.08 and they recommend racking between 1.05 and 1.04.

I would check the SG again. If it had a crust and is fizzing it is very active. It should be down about 1.020 by now. 1.080 would be just about the beginning SG. I suspect you have read it wrong and it is 1.008- ready to transfer. Check it again and let us know.

And no you won't lose it for waiting an extra day or two at any part of the process.

I just took the SG and it read 1.06. My bad on the 1.08. Do I need to rack it tomorrow? By the way if I lift the lid off and keep it off the fizzing disapates.

This is a great hobby for procrastinators and the absent minded (or both sometimes). It requires lots of patience. Especially when clearing and aging.
Be sure to read your hydrometer correctly and wait a couple days if need be.
1.06 is still pretty high. Stir up your must and get it going again. Make sure your temperature is between 70 and 75 degrees. It's cold outside and I know that will make yeast a bit sluggish.
Good luck and keep us updated.

I would hold off racking until about 1.010. If the kit came with a nutrient package add it at about 1.040 to the primary.

+1
smiley20.gif

PeterZ said:
I would hold off racking until about 1.010.  If the kit came with a nutrient package add it at about 1.040 to the primary.

Thanks for the help.

I'm curious all of you recommended I rack at SG of 1.010. The directions and video say to rack between 1.03 to 1.05. Why the difference in direction? How does it change the taste? Also, when racking what does the metabisulfite do in the bung stopper during the fermentation period? If you fill the carboy and you have room left after the first racking what do you top off with?

Sorry for so many questions but this is pretty fascinating!

Search for wine volcano and you will see why we don't follow the directions. It will make a mess and pour out the top once you add yeast nutrient.

The sulfite kills bacteria and keeps outside air from coming in to the wine while letting CO2 out.

Most people will top off with water if its only a small amount or with a similar wine if its a lot (say a whole a bottle).

I made a mistake and made upthe yeast nutrient early. Most folks on the site said to add it early anyway. I racked to the carboy tonight and ran the stir with a drill. I think I had enough room in the carboy so no volcano. I might have just got lucky.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back