Question about sanitizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

Reaction score
I've read through the thread from Waldo regarding sanitizing and what is and isn't a sanitizer and it contains excellent information.

Looking at the link to the April 2006 newsletter regarding sanitizing I see a ratio listed (about 1/2 down the page) of

"3 tablespoons of either Sodium or Potassium Metabisulfite mixed with 1 gallon of water will yield a 1.25% sulfite solution, will make an effective sanitizer."

So I decided that it's time to purchase some additional Sodium Metabisulfite, but on the order page I see that the ratio is

"Sanitizer - use 2 oz per 1 gallon of water. Antioxidant & bactericide - use 2/3 teaspoon to 5 gallons. "

Does 3 tablespoons work out to about 2 ounces? I just want to make sure I have my ratio correct for my sanitizer.

This is the sanitizer that I use to spray down the equipment so I'd like to be able to mix some up and store it in a container until needed.

Also-that post refers to K-meta and Na Meta-are these the same as Sodium and Potassium Metasulfite? If so, which is which?

Thanks!

I just weighed out 1 tablespoon of Na-meta with my accurate scale and it weighs .7 oz so 3 tablespoons is roughly 2.0 oz.

Na is sodium and K is potassium and you can use the same measurement for both even though sodium is roughly 8% more effective.

I use the Sodium Metabisulfate to sanitize. It is supposedly stronger than K-Metabut more important, it is cheaper. I have another 1oz packet ofK-Meta I use to add to my wines to prevent oxidation. When that packet is gone I will just use Na-Meta (Sodium).

And yes, I use 3 tablespoons per gallon of water and it is very potent and will keep for quite some time. I dumped a bucket of mixture I mixed up over 6 moths ago that took my breath away when I popped the lid off of it last week when I moved.

Smurfe

Hey Mike,
I use Na-meta. I have even had a great phone conversation with George about it and agree with George that it is really a good choice to use.

I had a 4 oz bottle of Na-meta. I measured out enough to make 2 gallons of sanitizer = 6 tablespoons and the 4 oz bottle was empty. Yes, 2 oz is the same as 3 tablespoons.I use gallon jugs of bottled water. I put the left over solution back in the jugs and placed the cap back on top. Itshould remaingood and usable for 4 months.the best way to tell is remove thecap and take asniff. If you can smell the Na-meta it is still good to use.

Thanks ScubaDon!
I placed an order for a couple pounds of Na-Meta. I appreciate the info and insight.

Of course in addtion to the Na-meta I had to pick up a few other things on my wish list!

Masta....Thanks for those measurments...I used them today...took out my little scale...measured out the 3 Tablespoons, weighted it and it was right on... Next time will just measure...and save time.

It's these little tricks that really help....Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back