Quad Berry DB - very gassy, may have small problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reilly said:
Update.
Yesterday I purchased a Mityvac hand pump from AutoZone and started pumping away. I got crazy CO2 bubbles off at 22 in Hg for about half the day. At about 9pm, I was getting less and less bubbles at 22 and even 23. The pressure was holding at 20 with no activity. After about an hour with no bubbles I think I successfully degassed the DB.

Added my sparklloid and will wait to clear.

That's the same one I purchased, it comes with some great adapters. You'll give your hands quite a workout. I'm already trying to work out how to convince the wife I need an AllInOne, a filter, and at least one glass carboy :)

My first batch was very hard to degas. The second batch I made required minimal effort to degas. The biggest difference that I can see is that I waited to transfer to the carboy. I noticed that by waiting three additional days all of the "fizzing" had stopped. Perhaps waiting a few extra days at 75f allowed for some natural degassing in the primary. I also question the calibration on my hydrometer. When primary fermentation is done I'm consistently getting readings of .990. My guess is, for me, 0.997 ain't quite dun yet!

Latest posts

Back