Purpose of degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krhamm

Reaction score
What are all of the benefits of degassing? I know that it will help get the fizz out of the wine but is there other reasons as well? I've been reading on this forum that they degas after adding sorbate/k-meta before sweetening. Is this a procedure that needs to be done each batch of wine? If so, what is the best instructions on about doing this? I do have a degasser tool that you hook up a cordless drill to.

Dissolved CO2 in a still wine is considered a fault. Sparklings wines SHOULD be fizzy. Degassing will improve the flavor of some wines and it will usually help the sediment fall to the bottom more quickly.

Some people stir as you suggest, others use a vacuum to help remove gas. Some people let time take care of the issue for them.

If you plan on aging a long time - there is no need to degas. If you are at the right temp - time will degas and clear your wine.

I prefer to degas - as stated above - it helps the clarification process.

quote ".....I've been reading on this forum that they degas after adding sorbate/k-meta before sweetening..."

degassing should be done before adding k meta....otherwise you will run into the issue of, 'am i degassing co2 or also sulfite....'. Sulfite will also come out when you attempt a degass....yes the co2 bubbles are larger and indicative of what you are degassing...nevertheless, if you are purposely running low so2 levels you dont want to remove more than you intend on staying in your wine

I will say that not all wines will degas them selves over time. I have had 2 batches now over the years that didnt degas them selves much at all. One was a apple mead (cyser) which probably didnt degas well do to it being more viscous but the other was a just a fruit wine and the temp in this room is always right around 72-73* as its the furnace room, actually during the summer it gets even warmer. Anyway, I bulk age most wines around 8 months but the fruit wine I had made 12 gallons of instead of 6 due to abundance of fruit that year so that one sat there for over a year and it was still loaded with gas. Thats why after that batch I started degassing as soon as fermentation was done and by doing this I find that the wine will clear much faster.

Latest posts

Back