Purchased Syrah grapes and new to wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinelli01

Reaction score
I was planning on starting out with a wine kit this year for my first wine making experiece, but I was able to get my hands on 150 lbs of WA state Syrah grapes. I plan on crushing and stemming at a home brew store. If there is anyone who has any tips and tricks on using Syrah grapes, I would love to hear about it. I would also appreciate any tid bits or advice on first time wine making mistakes or tricks. I'm completely jumping into this process head first and loving it! I pick up the grapes this sunday!

Do yo have a hydrometer? If not please get one asap. Did you get any yeast and sulfites or are you going the all natural way as especiaslly with high sugar grapes like these the wild yeast can die off early leaving you with a sweet Syrah which isnt pleasant! I strongly advise you to get sulfites to ward off the wild yeast and also some enzymes to help with color, flavor, and tannin extraction. After crushing add sulfites and wait 12 hours. Add enzymes and wait another 12 hours and then add your wine yeast to a must that should be about 75*. I also advise you to check your brix reading with a hydrometer and adjust to 24 or 25 if its higher by diluting with acidified water.

Picking up supplies on saturday. Hydrometer is definitely on the list! I noticed there were a variety of meters. Any tips on meters?

Thank you for all the tips. I don't plan on going the all natural way, especially after you mentioned the sweetness of the end product. I like dirtier wines. I really appreciate the advice!! I typically like doing a little more research before I jump into new adventures, but can't pass up the grapes. Are there yeast or enzyme products you prefer (manufacturer names) or recommend avoiding?

Thanks again!! I really appreciate the help!

I prefer Lalvin yeasts and I use the liquid enzyme. One small bottle will last thru @25 6 gallon pails. Some use the dry. Your preferrence.
Syrah is a very good wine and great when blended with Merlot in a 50/50 mix.

Did the guy you bought the grapes from give you TA, Brix and PH numbers? The Washington Syrah numbers are real good this year and you mmay not have to do anything as far as ajustments go, I know it is Friday now but Saturday may be latter than you want to wait to go get your supplies. By then the wild yeasts may already be doing their thing. Do take the time asap to get the yeast you want into the grapes. I would suggest Pasture Red for those grapes.Man you have dove in head first here, now get ready to start playing

One of my first wines was a Napa Syrah from fresh grapes and it practically made itself. If you let it sit for a day, and can't sulphite it, be sure and keep it cold (below 60) to keep it from starting fermentation with the wild yeast. Sanitize ice packs or frozen 2 liter soda bottles and submerge them to keep it cold. The let it warm up for the yeast pitch. I am sure Pastuer Red will do a fine job, but if you are going to a wine supply store, get some Syrah specific yeast. I have had great results with Enoferm Syrah (DYW70). Great color and liquid extraction (9 gallons from 100lbs of fruit) and I left it on the lees for secondary and had a natural MLF. The end product was mellow with some pepper flavor and fantastic mouthfeel. I am kicking myself for only buying 100lbs.

I looked at my notes and forgot to add that around 10-12 brix it started to smell a little sulphur-y so I added 2 teaspoons DAP and stirred it a bit to get some oxygen in there and the smell went away the next day and stayed away. I pressed when it hit 1-2 brix after 5 days. It fermented down to -1 in the glass carboys.

Also, I punched the cap 2-3 times a day.

Thank you

Sorry for the delay response. It has been a little bit of a rush. The vineyard moved up the pick-up date to Saturday morning. I ended up purchasing 80 lbs instead of the 150 lbs. The brix was 23, but he didn't provide the pH or TA. I picked through the grapes and disposed of the raisins, bugs, green grapes, etc... I read it somewhere. Do you guys typically pluck through your grapes? I kept them in the cold (below 60 degrees), and crushed on Sunday. I added camden tablets sunday afternoon after the crush/destemming, and this evening (a little over 24 hours later) I will be adding yeast, yeast nutrients and enzymes. Should I add the nutrients and enzymes first and then wait for the yeast? I'm going to try and take a Brix and pH reading before I begin adding to the must. Oh...I ended up with RC212 yeast. Selection was really limited. They did have pastuer red. Any advice?

Thank you again for all your help! All of you were a HUGE help!!

The bugs and raisins are fine. I leave them in. All wine has earwigs and spiders in it. Seriously, all that stuff settles out when it clears. I wouldn't bother with the pectic enzyme in a red wine. The yeast and alcohol will break it all down effectively.

I would use the enzymes, it what helps extract color and tannins! I use a product called Opti Red. You could have added the enzymes after 12 hours and then the yeast at 24 just do you know next time and some people do add the enzymes right up front with the sulfite.

I would use the enzymes, it what helps extract color and tannins! I use a product called Opti Red. You could have added the enzymes after 12 hours and then the yeast at 24 just do you know next time and some people do add the enzymes right up front with the sulfite.

Good to know. I decided to go ahead and use the enzymes, and added it along with the nutrients and yeast. Next time I will add them after 12 hours. I'll have to try Opti Red and experiment with other yeasts next time as well!! Thanks again!

I would use Pasture Red yeast

I aviod this yeast like the plague. It is very prone to yeast breakdown.

I recommend Lalvin rc212. This is a strong strain not prone to breakdown, minimizing the chance of hydrogen sulfide or mercaptan production (which leads to "off" flavors and oders).

I see a lot about testing the sugar levels in you crushed grapes. This is a good thing. I would also highly recomend that you purchase an acid titration test kit (about $6.00) or a PH meter (about $100.00). Adjusting your PH or acid levels is one of the most important things you can do to ensure a good result.

I aslo recomend that you purchase a good yeast nutriant. I suggest fermax.

Good luck and have a happy fermentation!

I aviod this yeast like the plague. It is very prone to yeast breakdown.

I recommend Lalvin rc212. This is a strong strain not prone to breakdown, minimizing the chance of hydrogen sulfide or mercaptan production (which leads to "off" flavors and oders).

I see a lot about testing the sugar levels in you crushed grapes. This is a good thing. I would also highly recomend that you purchase an acid titration test kit (about $6.00) or a PH meter (about $100.00). Adjusting your PH or acid levels is one of the most important things you can do to ensure a good result.

I aslo recomend that you purchase a good yeast nutriant. I suggest fermax.

Good luck and have a happy fermentation!

Thanks!! Good to know about the breakdown! Thankfully, I did use the RC212 yeast! Do you recommend the acid titration test kit or a pH meter? I one better than the other? One more question. Our basement (where the wine is fermenting) is in the low to mid 60s. I noticed the fermentation has already started, but I'm a little concerned the room temperature is at the low end of the range for the yeast. Do you use heat for the initial fermentation?

Thanks!! Good to know about the breakdown! Thankfully, I did use the RC212 yeast! Do you recommend the acid titration test kit or a pH meter? I one better than the other? One more question. Our basement (where the wine is fermenting) is in the low to mid 60s. I noticed the fermentation has already started, but I'm a little concerned the room temperature is at the low end of the range for the yeast. Do you use heat for the initial fermentation?

It is better to go with a PH meter. This gives you somewhat better results than the acid titration kit. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend.

As far as the basement temperature, If fermentation has begun then you do not have much to worry about. Just keep an eye on the rate of fermentation and the temperature of the wine itself. If you notice that the fermentation rate is slowing and the sugar level of the wine is still rather high, then I would recomend that you turn up the heat.

It is better to go with a PH meter. This gives you somewhat better results than the acid titration kit. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend.

As far as the basement temperature, If fermentation has begun then you do not have much to worry about. Just keep an eye on the rate of fermentation and the temperature of the wine itself. If you notice that the fermentation rate is slowing and the sugar level of the wine is still rather high, then I would recomend that you turn up the heat.

Okay! Once again thanks for your input!

Back