Pumpkin,,,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirden1959

Reaction score
Alright all I am going to try a pumken wine reciepe from here but some cloves/spices added and use brown sugar instead.

I am going to freeze the pumpkin meat or pulp as you call it I guess, should it be witht he skin left on for the tannin in it or should I remove it before freezing?

Thanks...

wines in proccess:
Orange bottling in a week or two
black cherry final racking
Apple spice racked
pear second fermenting 10/19/11

I can make this a whole lot easier for you. First of all if you use carving pumpkins don't waste your time. You need to use the kind they make the canned pumpkins from.

Speaking of canned pumpkins (like that segue) use the cans of pre mixed spices pumpkin mix. It's a whole lot easier, probably a lot less messy and just may taste better.

I thought there was a recipe on here but couldn't find it. I'll look in my book later and post it if you like. My pumpkin is a year old and I will let it age another year. I will be starting another batch soon.

Julie made this and it's her recipe. She claims it eas awesome. When Julie speaks, everyone listens! Well maybe not her husband?????

Last edited:
Here is what I used for my pumpkin wine.

For 6 gallons
18 large cans of pumpkin mix (Libby's)
approx. 15 pounds of sugar (inverted)
20 drops of pectic enzyme
6 teaspoons of acid blend
1 1/2 teaspoons of tannin
1 pack Lalvin Yeast EC-1118
6 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
Potassium Sorbate
Cinnamon Sticks
Ginger optional
6 teaspoons of sparkolloid

potassium metabisulfite or equilivent in camden tablets

Mix up your sugar (inverted) and enough water to make 6 gallons
Specific Gravity to around 1.080 The gravity will increase from the pumpkin mix. There is approx. 3/4 cup of sugar in each large can.

Separate liquid into 2 equal amounts (two 3 gallon batches in 6 gallon buckets)
Add Yeast Nutrient, tannin, acid blend (Half the amount to each container)
Add pumpkin mix (9 cans to each bucket)
Add pectic enzyme (10 drops per container)

Stir well and apply a loose lid for 12 hours. Keep in a cool area.
(If needbe snap on a lid with an airlock but not necessary).

Rehydrate 1 pack of EC-1118 yeast, then add equal to each bucket. Stir.

Stir a few times each day until the specific gravity reaches .990
(Optional at 1.000 to snap on a lid tight with an airlock and allow it to finish)

Rack to a carboy (leave behind the heavy sediment) with 1/4 teaspoon of potassium sulfite, degas and clear with sparkolloid. Allow 6 weeks to clear.
(Optional after 1 week to rack again and remove the bulk of the sediment).

Rack off of sediment, add cinnamon sticks if you prefer. 3-6 total, and ginger if you like. Add a pinch of sulfite.
Allow wine to age 6 months.

Rack off of any additional sediment, ginger (if applicable) and cinnamon sticks.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of potassium sorbate per gallon. (3 teaspoons total).
Invert some sugar in a small amount of the wine and sweeten to taste.
Add another pinch of sulfite.

Allow a month before bottling.

I made pumpkin wine last year from alot of unused carving pumpkins
I gutted the insides and saved the seeds and quartered them and froze them and let them thaw and ran it thru my crusher into the primary fermenter according to jackkeller receipe http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques53.asp

no extra spices - so it was a very light fruity wine - loved it !!
Looking foward to it again this year when they drop or give them away

steve

what I did.....

carved up about 13 pounds of pumpkin, about half had the skin on, used 4 cans of Libby Pumpkin Pie mix, ad spice to my taste, added brown sugar instead of refine white sugar. then followed the typical recipe... cant remember who's but got it of a regualr wine site were most here recommend to use.

I used my home made poor mans version of a wine press,,, a 6 gallon fermenting bucket, pumpkin in a mesh bag, then a 5 gallon bucket (fermenting) placed in top of the bag, filled with water to the top and 80 lbs of weight added tot he top,,, let sit for a few hours in a cool place,,,,and poof ya got juice,, then empy the one buckt,,, leave the fruite and mesh bag in, and start mixing etc, One day I will had a picture,,,

Smell great,,,, taste like pie.... so the fermenting (primary) has started,,, so hopefully will be done for 2012 turkey day,,,

And yes most think I am nuts,,,,,,,,,,,,, well those who sure love to drink my wines do,,, they have no imaginations.......I tell ya....

A picture of you press would be great! I think Luc has done one similar.

Debbie

Secondary fermentation....

Ok all the secondary fermentation strated,,, should prove intresting, my pumpkin mash/fruit in the mesh bag basically turned to fine mash, except the out side skin. I ended up place my 2 gallon batch into a 3 gallon carboy, filled it tot he brim.

So we will see how the fines it settle down... Gotta say this will be intresting and fun experment......... and hopefully great pumpkin wine in a year ...

Den

I just bottled 3 bottles of some extra pumpkin from 2010. One slightly aged with cinnamon. One with 1/3 of cinnamon stick and one with 2/3rds cinn. stick. I'll let them rest a month and try them out so I get a better of an idea if I should cinnamon the 5 gallon.

Starting another 6 gallons of pumpkin soon.

Pumpkin wine

My pumpkin experience;
I decided to vacuum transfer from the primary bucket and press, since I had some extra time this week. I can hardly wait till it is drinkable !

pumpkin press [280x280].jpg

pumpkin transfer [188x280].jpg

how is this stuff? have you tried it at all yet or is it still aging?

Here is what I used for my pumpkin wine.

For 6 gallons
18 large cans of pumpkin mix (Libby's)
approx. 15 pounds of sugar (inverted)
20 drops of pectic enzyme
6 teaspoons of acid blend
1 1/2 teaspoons of tannin
1 pack Lalvin Yeast EC-1118
6 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
Potassium Sorbate
Cinnamon Sticks
Ginger optional
6 teaspoons of sparkolloid

potassium metabisulfite or equilivent in camden tablets

Mix up your sugar (inverted) and enough water to make 6 gallons
Specific Gravity to around 1.080 The gravity will increase from the pumpkin mix. There is approx. 3/4 cup of sugar in each large can.

Separate liquid into 2 equal amounts (two 3 gallon batches in 6 gallon buckets)
Add Yeast Nutrient, tannin, acid blend (Half the amount to each container)
Add pumpkin mix (9 cans to each bucket)
Add pectic enzyme (10 drops per container)

Stir well and apply a loose lid for 12 hours. Keep in a cool area.
(If needbe snap on a lid with an airlock but not necessary).

Rehydrate 1 pack of EC-1118 yeast, then add equal to each bucket. Stir.

Stir a few times each day until the specific gravity reaches .990
(Optional at 1.000 to snap on a lid tight with an airlock and allow it to finish)

Rack to a carboy (leave behind the heavy sediment) with 1/4 teaspoon of potassium sulfite, degas and clear with sparkolloid. Allow 6 weeks to clear.
(Optional after 1 week to rack again and remove the bulk of the sediment).

Rack off of sediment, add cinnamon sticks if you prefer. 3-6 total, and ginger if you like. Add a pinch of sulfite.
Allow wine to age 6 months.

Rack off of any additional sediment, ginger (if applicable) and cinnamon sticks.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of potassium sorbate per gallon. (3 teaspoons total).
Invert some sugar in a small amount of the wine and sweeten to taste.
Add another pinch of sulfite.

Allow a month before bottling.

I need to back sweeten and bottle it. It is still aging with cinnamon but a few months ago we did a mini sampling and it was pretty darn good.

I just back sweetened my pumpkin wine today.

To recap I started it November 2010
Gravity 1.080
I added acid blend to get it to .59%
The ph was 3.25

It has been aging until now however last Nov. I added 5 cinnamon sticks to the 5 gallon carboy.

It finished at a gravity below .990

I added 10 ounces of sugar to bring it to .991

I was thinking that it would be too dry but actually is very smooth with a hint of cinnamon. I did a sample at .993 and it was too sweet.

Since this turned out good I can start another batch.

Latest posts

Back