Pruning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtstar

Reaction score
I live in northeast Nebraska my question is I've had a lot of problems up here and haven't had a chance to prune two rows of grapes now they are starting to leaf out do you think that its to late to get them pruned

do you think that its to late to get them pruned

Yes.

But prune them now anyway. The vines will adapt. But the longer you wait, the less they can adapt. So prune as soon as possible. If you do not prune this year then you can risk weaker vines next year, not to mention having to deal with the vine tangle this year. Pruning late can delay crop set and ripening this year. But still better to prune late than not at all.

Life happens at time. I have also had times when I could not prune till some vines had leafout. And all was okay for the season (not ideal, but okay). But again, I did not wait too long.

I used to prune when dormant and then once leafed out did some summer pruning. summer pruning adjusted cluster per spur also removed leaves from shadowing fruit.

There is a difference between late pruning, cluster pruning and hedging a vine. Be careful not to confuse these very different vineyard management techniques. :)

Latest posts

Back