Pruning my vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
I pruned my vines about 10 days ago. For the past few days im seeing moisture on the tips where I pruned them. Is this normal? Thanks, John

Bleading is normal after purning, nothing to worry about. Just check them every now and then to make sure no desease gets in there, but normaly nothing happens.

It is perfectly normal but I wish it wasn't happening yet. That means the sap is beginning to flow and it will bring the vines out of dormancy-about a month early at this point. I have been pruning trying to keep from getting behind, but it will be in the 70's this week so I will begi to see bleeding soon also.

Its been in the upper 50s and 60s and alot of flowers our out and have been out for awhile now, and the forecast been looking good.

80's here all this week and most of next week, helping friends with a winery tomarrow finish up their pruning. Yup the sap is flowing. :ft

It's been in the eighties here all week also it is to early for this makes me concered about the next month

Not only is it warm here, but the buds have burst on Chardonnay and a couple of others. Red buds are in full color, Bradford Pears are done and turning green. This puts us at about 2 weeks early.

I noticed this bleeding on my vines today as well. I pruned last weekend. Everything seems to be happening early this year. I hope we don't have a late cold snap that kills everything. We had a frost on may 6th of last year that killed all the potential grapes on my vines.

Spent a lot of the day at a friends winery pruning, not only were the vines almost driping, but after three blisters and a right hand that feels like falling off...I'm beat.

Also spent part of the morning at my vineyards cutting cedar trees for fence posts with a dull chain saw, some mowing and planted 6 blackberry plants a customer gave me... what a day...:dg

Dave I leave 2-3 buds at each node as spurs myself. What you have are what I call nubs. They get in the way and serve no real purpose. If you were clipping shoots back to the cane, you can clip back closer to leave it clean and the basal buds grow. The problem with that is that you are clipping off almost all of the bearing buds and will get a very small crop. Leave the spurs 2-4 inches long so that you have 2 or 3 fruitful buds.

Latest posts

Back