Pruning Advice on Existing Vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosunscall

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Recently graduated and my wife and I purchased our first home. The best part is the yard which, among other plants, came with 8 grape vines along the back fence. I am pretty excited about them! We got the home right before winter so I haven't had much experience with them other than I know the grapes are dark purple and have seeds. The greenery seemed to be healthy and plentiful. A neighbor says they are Concord but I'm not sure how true that is. Judging by the state of the fruit trees and other plants it doesn't look like the previous owners did much tending to the plants.

I have no experience with grape vines so I did some research and learned there are two main schools of vine pruning: spur & cane. I have kind of been leaning toward cane pruning since I would like the plants to be visually appealing along the fence as well. What are the main pros and cons with spur vs. cane?

My main question is this: The plants have many cordons coming off the main trunk. Some have 3 levels! Most pruning guides suggest just picking two cordons for maximum yield. With that in mind should I cut off all the other cordons and just save two on the top level? That would let the growth drape downwards without competing with other levels, correct?

I know I'm just a hobbyist and not a professional like many of you but I could use your help coming up with a pruning plan. I'm pretty excited for this upcoming season! Attached is a pic to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with. I live in Utah by the way if that is relevant data.

grape3.jpg

if they are Concord then cane pruning is what is necessary. Your idea to leave only two cordons is good. however to properly prune a concord a minimum of 40 buds total of all cordons should be left after pruning. I would also raise the cordon as high as possible on the fence to insure maximum sunshine exposure. good luck

Back