problem with my primary fermentation tank

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been making wine since 2008 and have never had any issues with my primary fermentation tank....... until now!!

I have always been very careful to clean/sanitize my primary tank after each use. I store it with the lid screwed on and some K-Meta solution in the bottom. My problem is this..... the tank has for some reason taken on a strong chemical smell and I have had to dump the last batch of wine I had in it because it took on the same smell and taste.

My question is ...... is there something I can clean the tank with to remove this or would I be better off just replacing the tank. It is a 13gal tank with a large screw on lid. I have had it since about 2009-2010.

Any ideas?????

BOB

What is the tank made from Bob?

You can try a cleaner like PBW or OxyClean. Both work well at getting rid of odors.

Try one of the cleaners I mentioned. You say it has a strong chemical smell. KMETA is a chemical, does it smell like that or something else? I don't store anything in my primary when not in use. It's been in use since 2009. It smells like wine. I clean every now and then with Oxyclean. I spritz the inside of the primary, put lid on for a few minutes, pour out the KMETA and wipe down the insides with a paper towel before pouring the must in.

When not in use, store it clean and dry. Rinse and sanitize before using it.

I wonder if the k-meta has started to degrade the plastic.

Thanks guys I never thought about the k-meta degrading the plastic but it does have a plastic smell to it. I think I will try cleaning it with oxyclean and see what happens. It has been empty open and dry for at least a month and still has a strong smell. I may have ruined it........live and learn...

Bob

Latest posts

Back