Primary to Secondary Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I3igDmsu

Junior
Reaction score
Beginner here with a Mezza Luna Red kit. I am close to finishing the primary fermentation.

Once I am at the recommended sg, I have a few Q's:
* should I mix the primary before racking to carboy to bring over some sediment?
* should I splash rack to the carboy?
* I wait until 10 days or so in the secondary before I reach the correct SG and THEN degas and clear?
* if I want to bulk age in the carboy for 9mo+ months, does this happen after degassing and clearing?

Thanks for the help! Quick answers are appreciated as I will be moving to the secondary tonight.

BTW, you've got to posts going with the same questions being asked.

Mix or don't according to the kit directions.

Splash rack, sheet rack or not shouldn't make very much difference because of the amount of CO2 you'll have at this point. I generally sheet rack when going from primary to "secondary".

Every kit I've done has instructions on when and how to stabilize, degas and clear. All in my experience are after your wine has measured dry.

My guess is that most doing kits will bulk age after degassing, clearing and sediment falls out from the clearing. Racking once again to start our bulk aging. Bulk aging for 9 months, I've never done it that long, might allow you to skip degassing and adding clearing agents but there is other stuff to be concerned about if you're going to bulk age that long.

Beginner here with a Mezza Luna Red kit. I am close to finishing the primary fermentation.

* should I mix the primary before racking to carboy to bring over some sediment?
* I wait until 10 days or so in the secondary before I reach the correct SG and THEN degas and clear?
* if I want to bulk age in the carboy for 9mo+ months, does this happen after degassing and clearing?

Thanks for the help! Quick answers are appreciated as I will be moving to the secondary tonight.

Q1 Follow the instructions
Q2 Yes
Q3 Follow the SG not days
Q4 Yes after clearing and add 1/4 tsp K Meta every 90 days of aging.

1. Mix sediment. No. But don't be too concerned if you do rack some sediment over.
2. Splash Rack. No.
3. Time in carboy. 10 days or more. Then check sg.
4. Bulk age. personally I stabilize, degas and clear, then bulk age.

In future, please do not double post.

Steve

as you can see from the posts above, people have different methods they use. following the instruction will not get you in trouble. over time you will develope your own ways of doing things. kits are fairly forgiving.

good luck

...and THEN degas and clear?

When I am going to bulk age a wine, I skip the degassing and clearing step. This includes skipping the Bentonite. The bulk aging will take care of it. In fact, the CO2 in the wine helps protect it from oxidation during the bulk aging.

Also, if you are not going to backsweeten (add an f-pack), then you can also skip the sorbate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back