Primary fill level

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose

Reaction score
We received our 2nd kit today along with some extra accessories. One of which is another primary with a spigot. We put 23 liters of water in it and the water level is approx. 1" below the mark on the fermenter. What does everyone go by? Both of our fermenters come out to about the same level.

20080117_184044_100_0628_Small_.jpg

What measure did you use to get that amount? If you use a gallon milk jug and fill it full six times then it should come to about that ring. If it is indeed that low, put a mark on the outside and use that mark. Any primaries I have checked came darned close to that ring. I make sure I am up to the mark when starting and they come out pretty close to where they should be.

I used a 2 liter measuring container. I will try it with a gallon jug and see if it comes out the same.

I never really measured that way. what I do is use the top rung as a guide along with specified SG and try to get the SG on the higher side while bringing it as close to that level as possible. If the SG is stil high I will bring it above that line, if its starting to get a low SG then I keep it shy from that mark and worry about topping up later.

I just remeasured using a gallon jug and it came right to the line. Now, I have another question. Our first kit is in the clearing stage right now, I started that one about 1" low off that mark. I didn't screw that one up did I?

Was the SG higher then recommended when you started? This kit is definitely not screwed up so dont worry at all. You just might have to top up more later with wine or water since you may have been low to begin with. What was your starting SG?

Our starting SG was 1.076. According to the directions, we were right in the middle. Directions say to be between 1.070-1.085. When we got to the topping up stage, we ended up adding 2 bottles of wine(750ml) and a little bit of water to bring it up to the proper level in the carboy. It seemed like we were low, but didn't know why. I think this was our mistake by not having the proper level in the primary in the beginning.

You will be fine with it. The only casualty is two bottles of wine in temporary storage to top up the kit. I have gotten so when I make a kit that says to add a certain number of liters to bring it up to 23- I ignore them because my measuring cup is off also. I have checked my 2 litre measure against others, and it always comes up short. I just bring the level to the mark and I come close at racking to carboy.

Latest posts

Back