Primary Fermenter Too Small

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahunaJR

Reaction score
I am starting a Harvest Vintner's Strawberry wine (5-gal). After reading numerous threads, it appears as the best thing to do with this was to double it up or add additional fruit. I decided cost-wise I would add additional fruit. So I followed the directions except for the following. I added 10# of frozen strawberries, dropped the sugar from 12# to 10# and increased the Pectic Enzyme from 2.5tsp to 4tsp.

Now my dilemma. After adding everything to my primary fermenter (chemicals and 4.5 gal. of water), with the weight of the bag, the liquid is at the top of my primary fermenter (the typical bucket with top). Right now, by the directions, i have not added yeast yet until the SO2 releases. As I look at it, I have the following options.
1. Add the yeast and loosely cover as I usually do and hope the mess isn't too bad.
2. Add the yeast and cover with the snap on lid with airlock. My guess is fermentation will overflow the airlock.
3. Remove some of the liquid and add the yeast saving the liquid for ????
4. Get a larger primary fermenter. Probably a trash can. Yeah I know all about the food grade/plastic lectures but I am desperate right now!
5. Open to suggestions!

Yeast is supposed to go in today so I am at a bit of a time crunch. Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

Joe

Go to Home Depot and get a Rubbermaid BRUTE trash can with lid. 20-gallon is about $20. They also have a 32-gallon.

They are food safe.

I used water to mark the level for 5, 10 and 15 gallons on the side of mine before making wine with it. Handy to have those marks.

UNDER EDIT: Knew I had a pic. Put your trash can on something like a small sturdy table or something before you fill it. Makes siphoning easier.

wine-1.jpg

Last edited:
jswordy said:
Go to Home Depot and get a Rubbermaid BRUTE trash can with lid. 20-gallon is about $20. They also have a 32-gallon.

They are food safe.

I used water to mark the level for 5, 10 and 15 gallons on the side of mind before making wine with it. Handy to have those marks.

UNDER EDIT: Knew I had a pic. Put your trash can on something like a small sturdy table or something before you fill it. Makes siphoning easier.

Fantastic suggestion. At lunch I went to HD and picked one up for $19.37. Stopped at home, cleaned it, dried it and threw some K-Meta in it. I will transfer from the bucket after work and then add yeast. Thanks so much for getting me on the right track!

Just a question about the picture. Do you leave the spoon and hydrometer in your primary fermenter until you rack? Just curious! Thanks again for the help!

Joe

Not sure about anyone else, but I leave them in the primary. I place a clean heavy bath towel over the primary.

Hey Joe,
That trash can is probably going to save you a big mess. I will guarentee you it is easier to clean the trash can after fermenting than it is to clean up the floor, walls or whatever else an overflowing primary can get on to and into. I have a dedicated burte for fermenting, also. Have an oak stick for stirring or whatever. When I had it empty the other day, started filling the can one gallon of water at a time. Notched the stick for every gallon, eventually you are going to want to know how much is in it and some kind of marks will help with that. Good luck with the ferment, Arne.

No doubt a out it the Brute has saved me a mess already. (I am also looking at ordering the 10-gallon just for the heck of it!) With the fermentation starting it would have been enough to go over the sides. I also love the idea of marking a stick and sides also. I guess that is why I read here so often. The tips and advice are priceless! Y'all have made getting back into the winemaking hobby so enjoyable! Thanks again...

Joe

I make 10-gallon batches right in the 20 gallon Brute. Just use water to find out and then mark where 10 gallons is. You can use a flashlight from the inside to shine through and see where the water level is to mark the sides on the outside with a permanent marker. I have mine marked at 5, 10 and 15.

I just snap the lid down on it when fermenting, since it cannot seal tightly. Works great. I am getting anxious to start some frozen muscadines in there now!

Last edited:
With the increased size of a primary fermenter plus having 4 empty 5-gal. carboys, I think I might be inspired to try a 15-gal. batch of "something/anything". Hmmmm, the intrigue begins...

Joe

With the increased size of a primary fermenter plus having 4 empty 5-gal. carboys, I think I might be inspired to try a 15-gal. batch of "something/anything". Hmmmm, the intrigue begins...

Joe

Hahahaha - this is how it starts!

If it's a scratch wine, not from a kit, 10 gallons is now my usual minimum. Same amount of work, more or less, might as well make it worth the time! The rate of survivability of my bottles to one year aging also has gone up. Spreads the attrition rate.

Latest posts

Back