Primary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfrank07

Reaction score
I am wondering if it is ok to use a 6 gallon bucket for a one gallon cherry wine recipe during primary fermentation ONLY. After 5 days I plan to transfer the batch to a 1 gallon glass carboy for secondary. I believe the oxidation process does not kick in during primary and the yeast needs the oxygen at this time so I believe i should be ok, but 5 gallons of headspace has me worried a bit.

In a pinch OK. But, there are many smaller buckets that you can use and I would suggest that in the future.

I am wondering if it is ok to use a 6 gallon bucket for a one gallon cherry wine recipe during primary fermentation ONLY. After 5 days I plan to transfer the batch to a 1 gallon glass carboy for secondary. I believe the oxidation process does not kick in during primary and the yeast needs the oxygen at this time so I believe i should be ok, but 5 gallons of headspace has me worried a bit.

Get a smaller bucket. Otherwise, you'll always wonder if it would have been even better had used a smaller primary.

Why take a chance? For the effort involved, I ALWAYS do EVERYTHING I can to take uncertainty out of the process.

A smaller bucket would be a little easier but if all you have is a 6, then a 6 is great. You may want to raise one side a little (2x4 board) to get the sediment and lees more compacted so when you transfer (by pouring or siphoning) it will be a bit easier.

Thanks for the advice! I found a 3 1/2 gallon bucket so I'll try that out if I can find a decent air-tight lid.

You don't want an air tight lid. Yeast needs to bearth. Place the lid on loosely or cover with a cheese cloth. Do this to keep crap like ceiling insulation, cats, kids out.

You'll put a lid with an airlock on after the primary when you rack off to another container (carboy).

I see, as you can see im transitioning from brewing beer. Makes sense. no air-lock till racking to my glass secondary?

The old question about an airlock during the primary. Yes and no. I do not use one. Others always do.

Luc is doing an experiment to see what the results are between both methods. I am looing forward to his report

I dont want to steal this thread , but in relation to the discussion, ( I ponder a lot) size of primary fermenter bucket, and that in relation to amount of juice.
Would there not be a strong relation to the activity of the yeast in a volume to surface area aspect, where in a large bucket will allow the must to cool faster or initial fermentation would a lower temperature since the open surface is larger versus the depth now being less.
What I am thinking is the ability for the must to "maintain" or "release" heat during fermentation.
Lets see, The deeper a lake the less amount of frozen water
It may not matter at all either so is why I thought I would ask.:slp

Tim

Last edited:
Interesting point Harlan.... I never thought of that... although I wonder if it has any bearing on the final outcome and quality of the wine...

The larger surface area should allow more CO2 to dissipate, thus making degassing easier.

Steve

This may be a personal preference, but should I add the acid blend, tannin, pectic enzyme, and yeast nutrient the first day or should I wait 24 hours to let the campden tablet do its job and add everything else right before the yeast?

Add full amount of Pectic Enzymes, Acid Blend, and Wine Tannin - after 24 hours add the Yeast, Yeast Nutrient, and Sugar

I read somewhere that the pectic enzyme should be added 12 hours after the campden tablet. Is this true or can I add it to the must at the same time as the campden tablet? Thanks

I read somewhere that the pectic enzyme should be added 12 hours after the campden tablet. Is this true or can I add it to the must at the same time as the campden tablet? Thanks

Luc did an interesting study on this. IIRC, k-meta didn't bother PE at the levels we normally use. I think I remember the results indicating that they could be done together (confirmation would be A Good Thing).

I still wait. Not b/c I don't believe Luc's results -he's an excellent analyst- but because I'm never in a big enough hurry not to wait!

I have heard alot of folks on here suggest waiting 12 hours after adding k-meta. I usually don't wait that long - and it hasn't seem to hinder my wine.

At least not that i am aware of :)

The reason to wait is to stun the wild yeast. Waition will also "flash" off the meta so its ready for yeast. If you add the fresh yeast to soon it will also stun that and you will get a slower fermentation.

The reason to wait is to stun the wild yeast. Waition will also "flash" off the meta so its ready for yeast. If you add the fresh yeast to soon it will also stun that and you will get a slower fermentation.

The question was waiting for PE addition

Back