Primary Fermentation Temperature Concern

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lerxstrulz

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All,

First time winemaker! I'm using the Winexpert Washington Merlot kit with skins.

The instructions say to keep in a place where the temp will be between 72 and 75 deg F.

I have a sticky thermometer on the fermenter (6 gal plastic) and since yesterday it has been hovering around the 77 to 70 deg F range. I woke up yesterday and it was at 81 F. My apt says around 72/73. I pointed some fans at it and since then the temp hovers around 75/76.

Just wondering if this is ok. The fermentation seems to be going nicely...lots of bubbles in the water lock :) I have been removing the lid and stirring at least once a day and pushing the skins down. I read that the yeast can prob live until 90 deg F, but I know I do not want huge temp swings either.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Brent

Welcome to winemakingtalk.

Once fermentation starts, it will create it's own heat. You are fine.

The instructions say to keep in a place where the temp will be between 72 and 75 deg F.

I have a sticky thermometer on the fermenter (6 gal plastic) and since yesterday it has been hovering around the 77 to 70 deg F range. I woke up yesterday and it was at 81 F. My apt says around 72/73. I pointed some fans at it and since then the temp hovers around 75/76.

Did you mean 77 to 80 F?

I agree with Julie, you should be fine. As she says, fermentation gives off heat, but I don't think you will get to an unhealthy temperature given your conditions. The fan trick sounds like a good step.

Back