Master Vintner Kit - Open open or closed fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The morning of day seven and I'm right at .998, tonight at 7:00 pm marks a full seven days, so I'm going to keep an eye on it and maybe rack tomorrow. Instructions say put in the contents of the package marked Potassium Metabisulfite; that's a compacted teaspoon! From everything I've read, the "big add" is 50-75 ppm, which for 6 gallons is 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoons of Kmeta. Am I missing something? Is it possible they know the pH is going to be off the charts high? After this kit and the Eclipse Merlot I think it's going to be time to move on to frozen must then grapes. Thanks as always for your feedback.

I wonder if that potassium metabisulphite package also contains potassium sorbate?
or maybe it also includs something else, some RJS kits used to include a pectic enzyme dosage to add.
Although that doesn't sound quite like enough.

I would hope that the PH is in a fairly normal range, most kits are.

Personally, even if your must is done fermenting, I would rack into a carboy with an airlock, leave it there for at least a few days, prior to adding any chemicals. That will make certain that all fermentation is complete and you are ready to move to the next step of the directions.

I wonder if that potassium metabisulphite package also contains potassium sorbate?
or maybe it also includs something else, some RJS kits used to include a pectic enzyme dosage to add.
Although that doesn't sound quite like enough.

I would hope that the PH is in a fairly normal range, most kits are.

Personally, even if your must is done fermenting, I would rack into a carboy with an airlock, leave it there for at least a few days, prior to adding any chemicals. That will make certain that all fermentation is complete and you are ready to move to the next step of the directions.
Thanks for that reply, there is actually a second package of potassium sorbate included, so unless there is inert filler along with Kmeta, then my concern is that it will lead to an off flavor. Not sure what effect excess So2 has, or how to problem solve it, but that's the next thing to hunt down.

Down to .998 but there's a bigger foam blanket on the top than I had at anytime during AF. The airlock has been on the BM Bubbler since last night, so maybe it's just Co2 releasing?

Back